Author Topic: Help in translating Belgium B/M/D records into English  (Read 1786 times)

Offline Wave Watcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help in translating Belgium B/M/D records into English
« on: Saturday 26 January 19 12:46 GMT (UK) »
I researched Belgium (Antwerp & Liege) records for the Stephany & De La Montagne between July 2014 to the end of 2015. I passed these records on to my Father's cousin Joyce, whose Mother was a Belgium descendent of the two families. Joyce said, she had friends who would translate these records. Just before Christmas 2018, Joyce told me none of the records had been translated, now in her 80's, she asked if I could help. Hopefully I can through the help of RootsChat

I believe the Liege records are in French and the Antwerp records are in Flemish/Dutch, so I guess I may need more than one persons help.

I have attached a Liege Death record for Charles Stephany November 1870
 : I know his wife Anne Joseph Larmarche is named on the record.
 : Is it possible to translate any additional relevant information, such as date he died, where he died, cause of death, where he lived and occupation.

I have also attached a Antwerp birth record for Petrus Alexius De La Montagne 31/01/1824
 : I know his father Alexius & mother Susanna Isabella Bergys are named on the record.
 : Is it possible to translate any additional relevant information, such as date of birth, where he was born, parents occupation and where they lived

Best Regards Wave Watcher
Family History, Photography, Walking and Gardening

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help in translating Belgium B/M/D records into English
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 January 19 15:27 GMT (UK) »
I've had a look at the first one:

Charles Stephany, bookbinder (relieur), died on 17 November  at 6:15 in the evening. Born 22 January 1806 at Liege; domiciled there at 10, Quai de la Batte; widower of Anne Josephe Lamarche; spouse of Laurentine Elisa Remacle , son of Edrien Stephany and Elizabeth Petronille Duchesne, both deceased.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 January 19 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Continuing:

On the declaration of Joseph Lombart age 23 years engraver and Albert Calbot age 64 years labourer (both) living in this town, the first witness has signed and the second does not know how to sign.
(No cause of death given).

Max
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 January 19 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Shaun has beaten me to it, but you can have my effort anyway. The first one (French) has all you're asking for except the cause of death, and then some:

18 November 1870, half past one.

Death certificate of Charles Stéphany, bookbinder, died the 17th of this month at 6.15pm, born 22 January 1806 at Liège and resident there at 10 Quai de la Catte (?), widower of Anne Josephe Lamarche, spouse of Laurentine Elisa Remacle, son of Adrien Stephany and Elisabeth Pétronille Duchesne (both deceased).

By the declaration of Joseph Lombart, 23 years of age, engraver, and of Albert Talbot (?), 64 years of age, day labourer, residents of this city; the first witness has signed, the second one not knowing how to sign.

(I think the final printed line is about it having been completed according to the law, and that the signatories have read it before signing.)

The mention of Charles being a widower and a spouse suggests to me that his first wife Anne Josephe Lamarche had died, and that when he died he was married to Laurentine Elisa Remacle.

I don't know Flemish, so won't attempt the second one.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 January 19 16:14 GMT (UK) »
The address is definitely Quai de la Batte - see https://goo.gl/MbPczi

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 January 19 16:42 GMT (UK) »
The address is definitely Quai de la Batte - see https://goo.gl/MbPczi

Fair enough. Wave Watcher, do follow Shaun's link - it shows Charles in a city directory. (Good find.)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wave Watcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 January 19 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi ShaunJ, MaxD and arthurk

Thanks for your response, I must admit I'm new to RootsChat and unsure if this is the correct way to contact you?

I have 4 more Stephany,  Liege records. Would you be happy to lok at them for and what would be the best way to send them, as another reply?

Best Regards Wave Watcher
Family History, Photography, Walking and Gardening

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 January 19 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Yes you can attach them to a further reply on this thread.

Interestingly there is a Mme Stéphany-Remacle listed as a midwife (sage-femme) in this 1845 directory https://goo.gl/VbVjrA

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 January 19 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Until someone with more knowlegde of Dutch comes along,

The document was made on 31st Jan 1824 at three in the afternoon,
Petrus Alexius De La Montagne was born on the 31st "den twalf en half ure des nachts" which I presume means half past midnight that same morning.   
Father, Alexius was a "boekdrukker" printer, aged 26.  Susanna was 25.  The informants were Petrus Johannes Bergys/Bergijs, something like "gareliné werker" can't find that word, age 50 and Franciscus de Cleer "draaier" ?turner? 68.  All residents of Antwerpen  The adults seem to have reference numbers after their names, which could refer to other registration documents? 
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will: