Author Topic: Knowles children Woodside Aberdeen 1906-?  (Read 1825 times)

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Knowles children Woodside Aberdeen 1906-?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 10:58 GMT (UK) »
I have worked through some on Forfarian's list, tracing probable marriages and deaths to attempt to rule some out. Spending credits for certificates mounts up quickly enough, I can't justify £12 a time for full certificates except where essential.
So, after Phyllis in 1917 I have ruled out William Phillip, his death has MMN Murray & James Gunn 1929 as I spent credits on his death cert.
Many of Emma's siblings emigrated to Canada. I'm assuming this couple tried the life over there, as Thomas Jeffrey was born there, but came back home. There is always the possibility more babies were born over there.
I am also assuming that because all but one of the identified children were alive when their mother died in 1939 that a good proportion of the other six died relatively young. They must have been born and died between 1917 and 1939
To summarise, still to find are one boy and one girl who were alive in 1939 and four unknowns
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 14:26 GMT (UK) »
“Thomas Jaffray was born 1882 his parents were James Knowles And Elspet.

I have purchased the marriage cert which shows Emma's parents as James Munro, blacksmith and Emily/Emma Aitken/Aiken. Witnesses were John Knowles & Isabella Munro”

From the MC of Thomas J & Emma, what was his father James’ occ. & mother Elspet’s m/s, was it Maitland?

KNOWLES JAMES & MAITLAND ELSPET 1862
168/2 202 Old Machar Aberdeen Burgh (Woodside was in this parish)

If so, later census’ will give you possible family names for at least that side.

Possible 1891 Summer Lodge, Old Machar, Aberdeen

James Knowles 51 Joiner
Elspet Knowles 49
Isabella G Knowles 24
Jane S Knowles 21
James Knowles 19
Agnes M Knowles 17
Mary M Knowles 12
John M Knowles 10
Thos J Knowles 8
Alex G Knowles 6
William P Knowles 4
Georgina B Pratt 6 Mos (g/dau)

Parish: Aberdeen Old Machar; ED: 51; Page: 13; Line: 19; Roll: CSSCT1891_55

“Many of Emma's siblings emigrated to Canada. I'm assuming this couple tried the life over there, as Thomas Jeffrey was born there, but came back home. There is always the possibility more babies were born over there”

There’s only room for 1 other possible (at a push) born in Canada between Emma A & Thomas J

1906 Emma Aitken Munro, Woodside
1908 Thomas Jeffrey, Canada
1909 Gladys, Woodside
1912 Ruby, Woodside
1913 James, Woodside
1915 Mary
1917 Phyllis, Woodside

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 15:17 GMT (UK) »
You have the couple correct Rosinish, apologies for not providing James' occupation & Elspeths MN earlier. I agree that the rest of the children must have been born later than Phyllis. I checked all the births between Emma 1906 and the last 'credits' birth Phyllis 1917 and there are no more born to this couple in Woodside.
You also have the correct family in 1891
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 15:59 GMT (UK) »
According to the Valuations Rolls on SP, Thomas Knowles was the tenant of 717 Great Northern Road in 1915, 747 Great Northern Road in 1920, and 719 Great Northern Road in 1925, 1930 and 1935. All of these are in Woodside registration district as far as I know; they could even be the same house renumbered or incorrectly listed or indexed.

Emma Aitken Munro was born in 1887, so there are unlikely to be any children born after say 1932, when she would have been 45.

Apart from James Gunn Knowles, who died aged 0 in 1929, there are no deaths in Woodside before 1939 that could be one of this family. Not altogether surprising, because if they died in hospital the death would be registered there, not in Woodside. It might be instructive to compare the deaths in Aberdeen City between 1906 and 1939 with the births from 1905 to 1932 and see how many can be eliminated as either too old or from a different family.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian, many thanks. Electoral rolls also show those addresses (which tie in with birth records) and also 2 Smithfield Lane. I am fairly certain that 747 Great Northern Road, 2 Smithfield Lane and 719 Great Northern Road were the same building, as you say just renumbered at times. I base this conclusion on maps from the time and also a family mentioned in article about Emmas sudden death were neighbours of many years so I have looked for them in electoral rolls too!
I had not thought to check for deaths citywide, great suggestion in view of possible hospital deaths.
I've been looking at this family again today and have to say I'm impressed they manage seven children in the first ten years considering Thomas worked in Canada for some of that time their 'opportunities' were certainly used fruitfully!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Marriage;

MUNRO JAMES & AIKEN EMILY 1870
168/2 22 Old Machar Aberdeen Burgh

More possible family names...

1891 221 Barron St, Woodside, Old Machar

Janes (sic, should read James) Munro 45 Blacksmith
Emmie Munro 40
Jessie Munro 17
Alexander Munro 10
Mary Munro 8
Isabella Munro 5
Emmie Munro 3
Robert Munro    1 Mo

Parish: Aberdeen Old Machar; ED: 3A; Page: 44; Line: 10; Roll: CSSCT1891_56

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"