Author Topic: Nonsense in Ancestry trees  (Read 2286 times)

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Nonsense in Ancestry trees
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 January 19 21:41 GMT (UK) »
I sometimes start extra private trees for branches which are work in progress

But prefer to.keep my main tree public so any dna matches can find connections even if their tree not  open

I copy pictures and facts from cousins and distant relatives who ive been in contact with and give permission for them to copy mine .

At the moment i am adding Lithuanian records on a speculative basis because they are so difficult to find  ...but i have put ' ?'  And warnings in life story section ....using might /may/ probaby  but dont know how many people read this

Many times speculations have lead to  discoveries for example.not sure of parents but putting potentials in.leads to finding grandparents or uncles aunts which show definite or probable links to parents ....but i like to confirm with as many records as possible .

While searching for grandmothers birth father 10 years ago had 2 men with the appropriate surname i put the  surname on my tree til found who the real.man was but it turned out the other man was her grandfather !
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 26 January 19 21:53 GMT (UK) »
It's in part to blame because of these useless Ancestry 'hints' that suggest parents in different centuries or countries  ::), or born after the child was born ??? ???.

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 January 19 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Yes Melba why do they do that !

I put in a clear search with dates of birth and death and they  auto suggest someone born 50 years after his death 

May turn out to  be a grandson tho !

When i started using the site and found someone in same family i used to share to my tree not realising that that persons details would then be used for their mother or brother or whoever

For example found Georges sister whilst searching for George shared to my tree but it came up as being his date and place of birth  not hers uurgh

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 26 January 19 23:57 GMT (UK) »
It's a constant problem.... I had one person who seemed to sit and wait for me to put some further info on to someone in my tree and then just copy it, photos, documents the lot.... had to make the tree private to stop them.

I have a tree branch as work in progress but that's private too.

I've taken Ancestry DNA test and as my tree is private probably won't get any contacts...
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 January 19 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Caw  you can put in a mini open tree with about 8 people on so that potential DNA matches can see which branch you are likely to connect to and of course you can contact them !

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 27 January 19 01:27 GMT (UK) »
Caw  you can put in a mini open tree with about 8 people on so that potential DNA matches can see which branch you are likely to connect to and of course you can contact them !

So are you saying I can create another tree to link to on ancestry even though it's already linked to my main tree?
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 27 January 19 01:50 GMT (UK) »
You can create as many trees as you like .
I used to have one for mothers sides and one for fathers and took turns which to attach dna test.to .

Also i have copied pics from a relatve thinking she was the 1 who had given.me permission ..it did.occur to me that this could upset someone
But there is a privacy button for pics too. Like most things on internet once posted  its public domain .

I do think pics liven up a tree .+ help show that relative is the right 1 ...unless people copy the wrong john smiths photo !!

By the way your profile pic is lovely ..who is that glamorous lady ?

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 27 January 19 02:03 GMT (UK) »
How do you go about switching ancestry DNA tests from one tree to another... didn't realise you could do that!

My profile pic is my mother... she was a real stunner!
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 27 January 19 03:09 GMT (UK) »

I cant quite remember how to switch dna to different trees and ancestry site keeps shutting down on me before i can try .
I think you go to create and manage trees option in the  trees section top left corner button

Ive been on site all day and half afternoon updating tree with mums dna on it ...Ive added 80 people so hope we will get some matches ...Ive sent messages to some who match to lithuania and rhink im getting closer to finding our links on Russian grandfathers maternal side .

Also i think if i put in a surname on shared matches search they will come up as havinf that surname on their tree even if tree is closed. I.m looking for Landsman and Bloch names