Author Topic: Who was Winifred Vasey?  (Read 811 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Winifred Vasey?
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 27 January 19 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Frank was the one in the R.A.M.C. in 1916 - his military record (as Frank Stevens) is online.

Isabel seems to have had 12 children in all, of whom 3 (Donald b 1903, Donald b 1905 and Wilfred b 1907) had died before Leslie.

So she was a mother of 9 living children immediately before the death of Leslie.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 27 January 19 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Good research avm, you have been able to confirm what Isabel said 103 years ago  :)
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/Smethwick.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 28 January 19 09:28 GMT (UK) »
I have to know. I've sent for that marriage certificate (must beat that 16th Feb price hike).

I'll let you know what I found out. If it's NOT my William Vernon who marries Winifred Vasey then I must start again. Thanks to everyone who helped.

As to the non-registration of Winifred and one of her brothers, these do happen in the C20th. Fanny (Vernon) Bailey has a son William C born 1926, on the 1939, yet I can find no registration. (Unlikely outside England I would think: his dad was "refuse collector".) All his known siblings found. It would surely have caused difficulties later in life not to be able to produce a birth certificate?

Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs
Hancox - Warks
Green - Warks
Draper - Warks
Lynes - Warks
Hudson - Warks
Morris - Denbs Mont Salop
Davies - Cheshire, North Wales
Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire
Owens - Cheshire/North Wales
Hicks - Cornwall
Lloyd and Jones (Mont)
Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 28 January 19 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Thereís one Winifred Vasey whose birth I canít find but should be c1910 in Derbyshire.

Parents are Walter & Isabel, in Derby by 1911.  Marriage should be c1900.

Winifredís immediately older siblings:

Donald Vasey mmn Stevens, Sep qtr 1905 Rochdale
Mona Vasey mmn Stevens, Dec qtr 1906 Rochdale
Wilfred Vasey mmn Stevens, Dec qtr 1907 Littleborough (died aged 3 in Derby, Mar qtr 1911)

Thanks again for this AVM. I know you're not allowed to search the 1911, but the reason I didn't find her was that her age was incorrectly transcribed as 4 (born a long way from her supposed twin in Rochdale!) rather than 1.

If she was born Ockbrook that would presumably have been before the family left the village in November 1909. So her birth should be registered in the last three quarters of that year. I looked for any variant of Vasey and any Winifred born in the Shardlow district where Ockbrook is. Nothing!

Hancox - Warks
Green - Warks
Draper - Warks
Lynes - Warks
Hudson - Warks
Hicks - Cornwall
Lloyd and Jones (Mont)
Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 04 February 19 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Marriage certificate arrived!

24th March 1928. Derby RO. William Vernon 21 years, bachelor, general labourer, 88 Bridge Street Derby, father Charles Allen Vernon, butcher, marries Winifred Vasey, 19 years Spinster, shoe packer, 19 St helen's Street, Derby, father Walter Vasey (deceased) Colliery Deputy. Witnesses George Vernon, Frank Stevens, Mary Vasey.

This is my family. The proof is about as good as it gets - not only the fathers, but William at the same address as in 1911 and 1939, Charles known to be alive, Walter known to be dead, witnesses known - George is William's brother, Frank Stevens is Winifred's half brother, and Mary Vasey is not known yet but may be a sister-in-law.

It's also useful to have the exact ages (not a given for those "of full age"). William's age matches his birth and the 1939, and Winifred's matches that 1911 record in Derby (born Ockbrook) and also that record in Kirkby-in-Ashfield in 1939 with son Joseph 1936. I suspect this is an evacuation and that their landlady was confused about their surname. Winifred doesn't have a remarriage date (which would be usual) to fit the name change.

Joseph had three older siblings but I can't find them in 1939, I suspect they are redacted somewhere - evacuees?  He has an odd entry by him on that register - 13/5/49 NR 230/RAA. Anybody have any clue what this means? He'd be coming up to 13.

Once again, thanks very much to everybody who helped.

Hancox - Warks
Green - Warks
Draper - Warks
Lynes - Warks
Hudson - Warks
Hicks - Cornwall
Lloyd and Jones (Mont)
Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 04 February 19 17:04 GMT (UK) »
(Joseph) has an odd entry by him on that register - 13/5/49 NR 230/RAA. Anybody have any clue what this means? He'd be coming up to 13.

Once again, thanks very much to everybody who helped.

Rosie partly answered this conundrum on the "Green Ink" thread - this is something to do with the NHS and the code RAA places Joseph in Derby borough in 1949. So that makes him even more likely to be my relative.
Hancox - Warks
Green - Warks
Draper - Warks
Lynes - Warks
Hudson - Warks
Hicks - Cornwall
Lloyd and Jones (Mont)