Author Topic: Who was Winifred Vasey?  (Read 4340 times)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Winifred Vasey?
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 27 January 19 16:56 GMT (UK) »
I find this branch of my tree interesting because of the contrasts. For instance Florence Mary Vernon nee Ingram had far more descendants than all her 20-odd surviving siblings and cousins put together. Her 7 surviving children (if you include the still doubtfully-married Wiliam)  6 of whom produced at least 45 grandchildren and seemingly well over 100 great grandchildren (that's just the ones that can be found.) This would be unremarkable in the C19th, but in the 20th? Ivy had 14 altogether. My first thought was - are they Catholics? but no, Anglican marriages.

What's true is that in 1939 the less fecund Ingrams were all in terraced streets west of the main railway line, most about half way out, but the Vernons were mostly in the then newish council estates to the northeast (a couple were ih the inner city). Perhaps they got priority because their families were so big?

Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 27 January 19 16:58 GMT (UK) »
There appears to have been a lot of tragedy in the Vasey family according to newspaper reports.

In July 1913 Donald Vasey, the 8 year old son of Walter Vasey, colliery proper of Lodge Lane, died suddenly during the night.  The cause of death was said to be valvular disease of the heart.  His mother Isabel is mentioned in the article.

The father, Walter Vasey, took his own life in October 1914 by hanging himself in the family home at 25 Parker Street, Derby.  His young daughter Dorothy discovered him.

In April 1916 Leslie Vasey, the 13 month old son of Isabel Vasey, was burned to death in the family home at House 3, Court 4, Full Street, Derby.  The report also mentions her 3 year old son Sidney?

Added:   Sorry avm, I see you already mentioned Walter's suicide and Leslie's death earlier.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 27 January 19 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jool. If there's a link between these events, it's poverty.

I've no record of Sidney. - another one not registered?

Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 27 January 19 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Where are these Derby electoral registers, Jon? Ancestry doesn't seem to have them.

They are on findmypast, but I haven't actually seen them yet (only the index)
For most places that have coverage they go to 1931 (a few places only in 1932)
Really we needed a couple more years!
But William is probably in them, possibly still with mother Florence
John

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 27 January 19 17:41 GMT (UK) »
I've no record of Sidney. - another one not registered?

Sydney Vasey was born 27 Nov 1912 per death reg (1982 Derby) or 28 Nov 1913 per 1939.  The latter leads you to his mother Martha I now “Brown”.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 27 January 19 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Martha Isabella Brown died aged 77 in Derby, Mar qtr 1951.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 27 January 19 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everybody. I suppose I need to ask if anyone witth FindMyPast can look up some Derby electoral registers for me. Or are those not permitted, like the 1911 and 1939?

In case it's allowed, I'm looking for Charles A Vernon and his wife Florence M, I think their sons Harry and William will be with them some of the time. By 1939 they were on Bridge Street. Winifred, if she's the one, will only show after the voting age for women was lowered to 21 in 1928. Others who might show are Charles W and Mary, and George and Mary A. The daughters all married before they got the vote!

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 27 January 19 19:04 GMT (UK) »
1920 88 Bridge Street
Charles Alan
Florence Mary
Charles William

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate