Author Topic: Question on using Tithe Applotment Books  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Question on using Tithe Applotment Books
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 January 19 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Personally, I think you gain a lot.
- The size of the holding (farm), combined with the quality of the land, tells you much about their social standing and about their life in general.
- Landlord is frequently specified, which can lead to rental/estate info, Registry of Deeds, etc.
- When combined with information from parish registers, can greatly aid in reconstructing who is who.
- Combined with later Griffith's valuation, and subsequent "rates books", can often trace the history of  a particular plot of land (farm) over a period of over 100 years.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 January 19 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Personally, I think you gain a lot.
- The size of the holding (farm), combined with the quality of the land, tells you much about their social standing and about their life in general.
- Landlord is frequently specified, which can lead to rental/estate info, Registry of Deeds, etc.
- When combined with information from parish registers, can greatly aid in reconstructing who is who.
- Combined with later Griffith's valuation, and subsequent "rates books", can often trace the history of  a particular plot of land (farm) over a period of over 100 years. Of course, this will often be the succession to one of your family farms.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 January 19 18:36 GMT (UK) »
I find the Tithe books can be extremely useful when looking at a whole townland rather than one particular individual, especially if many of the householders have the same surname.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 January 19 20:29 GMT (UK) »
I'm just marking this thread because of the useful contributions. Thanks to everyone.
Cowban

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 January 19 23:22 GMT (UK) »
I can't find them in Dysartbeagh in the Griffith's Valuation records.

Thanks for any tips!
Brenda

Did you check all the surrounding townlands as well? The townland boundaries used for the tythe valuation were not always the same as those generated later by the OSI. So, one can come across situations such one i know of, of a family having been said to be from townland X for literally over 200 years, and appearing as such on wills, headstones, and tythe valuation - but on Griffith's and census, they were "officially" in another townland altogther....

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 28 January 19 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wexflyer,

Good point! Well with a name like Moore it is a bit tough. I would have assumed it would be Mountrath but no luck. Fenton/Finton is the most unique of the original group and I find two of them about 16 miles away +/-. Not sure if these are the correct Fenton/Finton or not and John Moore...well that's anyone's guess. This common surname is a killer :( And since these men would have been born before the parish registers online I might be out of luck and at the end of my road.  The few parish records applicable are full of John, Finton, and a few Denis'. And the family being right on the edge (some born before the first entry and some after) it's hard to connect these dots. Hard to say who was who. Was trying hard to do the "cluster genealogy" approach but it is again....those names...

Thanks!
Brenda
MOORE, LAW, SANDFORD, DELANEY

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 28 January 19 04:34 GMT (UK) »
Don't forget the spelling of Finton/Fentan as  Fintan. 

I found this reference to maps drawn for Earl of Mountrath in 1730s.

https://www.tcd.ie/library/manuscripts/blog/2016/09/thomas-molands-1730-maps-for-the-earl-of-mountrath/

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 28 January 19 04:49 GMT (UK) »
This is terrific, thank you! Coincidentally, the majority of of my ancestors worked for the Ordnance Survey. My 3x grandfather, Denis Moore, was with them for 41 years during the 6" Survey through Ireland, Scotland and England and my other 3x grandfather, James Sandford, was with them for 27 years! Does make it difficult to trace though as they moved around so much :)
MOORE, LAW, SANDFORD, DELANEY