Author Topic: Where did David Ennis go to college?  (Read 423 times)

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Where did David Ennis go to college?
« on: Sunday 27 January 19 19:56 GMT (UK) »
"David H Ennis, the particulars of whose sudden and unlooked for death by apoplexy, June 5th, were given in the Express, was born Feb. 8, 1854 in the town of Buffalo, where his aged parents and 4 other members of the family still reside.  In reviewing his history, the characteristics of his mind, the facility with which he acquired learning, in connection with a firmness of principle to become something, are traits he evinced in early life as the elements of a truly grand and noble nature.  When about 18 years of age he commenced teaching school, and in this important and responsible calling succeeded in winning for himself an enviable reputation.  The time not employed was mostly spent in different institutions of learning where by application and the most untiring industry and perseverance in the pursuit of knowledge, he succeeded in acquiring an excellent education.  [22 June 1878, Montello (Wisconsin) Express]

I have been trying to figure out where gg uncle Dave studied in the years between about 1872 and 1878.  He was not from a wealthy family so a nearby tuition-free normal school is most likely.  The Oshkosh State Normal School is the best bet, I think.  Other possibilities are the University of Wisconsin at Madison, the Platteville Normal School, the Whitewater Normal School or possibly even Beloit College or Ripon College.  All of these were fairly close to his home in Marquette County. 

Does anyone have access to yearbooks or student rosters at these institutions for the 1870s?
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Where did David Ennis go to college?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 January 19 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Someone else didn't know either.
You probably have these, but just in case:

MERLIN ENNIS -- Memories l877- l882
Written circa 1955

https://www.wiroots.org/wimarquette/ennisdiary.html

search for David - it will be the first hit on the page

"Today, I do not know where he went to school."

-----
and
-----
History of Northern Wisconsin: Containing an Account of Its Settlement, Growth, Development, and Resources; an Extensive Sketch of Its Counties, Cities, Towns and Villages, Their Improvements, Industries, Manufactories; Biographical Sketches, Portraits of Prominent Men and Early Settlers; Views of County Seats, Etc. ...
Front Cover

Western historical Company, 1881

"William and John Ennis, proprietors of the Fountain House, Montello, are the second and fifth sons of John and Mary Ennis, .. "

a long paragraph on them

https://books.google.com/books?id=JHBOAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA613&lpg=PA613&dq=david+ennis+montello+teacher+1875&source=bl&ots=FvpUbnp2OQ&sig=ACfU3U1lse-hAWmDH0-qCcz2pynlj2AlUw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwidotPT-I7gAhXpsVQKHbfXAw8Q6AEwCnoECAAQAQ#v=onepage&q=david%20ennis%20montello%20teacher%201875&f=false

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 January 19 22:10 GMT (UK) »
"Someone else didn't know either"

Yeah, he's my grandfather.

As for gg uncle William, he probably wrote that glowing account himself.  In fact, it seems he was a crook and he was last seen hightailing it into Canada, or at least that's where they thought he was headed.

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 January 19 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Those county biographical histories never have anything bad to say about the subjects, do they. Most of the input seems to have come from the subjects themselves.

Here is the only other idea I came up with, using the Oshkosh Normal School as an example. I searched for the school name + "alumni" and found:

Annual catalogue of the State Normal School, Oshkosh, Wisconsin.
Author:    Oshkosh State Normal School.
Publisher:    Oshkosh, Wis. : The School, 1872-1903.

held at:
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
Urbana, IL 61801 United States

https://www.worldcat.org/title/annual-catalogue-of-the-state-normal-school-oshkosh-wisconsin/oclc/21466843

The 1901 Edition is on line, but no mention of David. It probably only lists living alumni/alumnae, I don't know.

https://books.google.com/books?id=eqhGAQAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

---------------
Worldcat suggested a Subject search for: Teachers colleges Wisconsin Oshkosh.
with these results:

https://www.worldcat.org/search?q=su%3ATeachers+colleges+Wisconsin+Oshkosh.&qt=hot_subject

-----------
I took a quick look for David Ennis on myheritage.com which has some yearbooks, but didn't see anything in that time frame in the results, and nothing for an exact hit on his name. Their fuzzy search is very fuzzy.

Other than that, I can't think of anything except to wait and hope someone has the yearbooks or alumni news letters or the like.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 January 19 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking, OOH.