Author Topic: Birth certificate.  (Read 2323 times)

Offline Pearsews

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth certificate.
« on: Monday 28 January 19 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone, this is my first post.

I have the details of my ancestor Margaret Wilson's baptism at Ballincollig, Ireland in 1859. She was the daughter of William Wilson RA and Mary his wife. Her birth date is given as 20 June 1859.

Please can anyone advise me on how to obtain her birth certificate. As I do not know her mothers maiden name! I cannot progress further back with her family tree.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Pearsews, Scotland

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth certificate.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 January 19 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 January 19 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello and Welcome to Rootschat.

Unfortunately birth certs do not exist for such an early birth in Ireland.
Civil registration started in 1864,so the best you will get is a baptism record.

This might help...https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0009

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 January 19 15:43 GMT (UK) »
If you look through the baptism register, can you tell when the couple started and stopped having children? Most importantly right now, when they started?
Were they Protestant?
Protestant marriages were registered beginning in 1845, so if Protestant, you might find a civil marriage record.
Also, what about a parish marriage record, whatever denomination? How many William Wilsons married a "Mary"? If more than one, can you eliminate the others?
Did the baptism record list a townland - usually in the last column? That could help you id the father, assuming they settled in his townland, not hers.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 January 19 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat  :).

Most Ireland RC baptisms do state a mother's maiden name. If the name for the mother on the record is Mary Wilson then she may well have been Mary Wilson before marriage. Where did you get the baptism date from? I can find no baptism of that date on rootsireland.ie but maybe as oldohiohome suggests, they were CoI.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 January 19 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Most baptisms do state a mother's maiden name. If the name for the mother on the record is Mary Wilson then she may well have been Mary Wilson before marriage. Where did you get the baptism date from? I can find no baptism of that date on rootsireland.ie but maybe as oldohiohome suggests, they were CoI.
And I didn't find one for that date at Ballincollig parish at nli.ie, which are the Catholic records.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 January 19 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Neither did I - I've just been looking too.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 January 19 16:08 GMT (UK) »
askaboutireland.ie says that Ballincollig was in Carrigrohane Parish:

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=doPlaceSearch&Submit.x=31&Submit.y=10&Submit&freetext=Ballincollig&countyname=Cork&baronyname=&unionname=&parishname=Carrigrohane

I looked for William Wilson on Griffith's Valuation in Carrigrohane Parish, hoping to narrow down the parent, but I did not find any  Wilsons, including looking for similar names.

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/

Griffith's was completed in Cork in July 1853, according to Wikipedia.

There were a few William Wilsons elsewhere in Cork.

Offline Pearsews

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 January 19 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Than you so everyone for your rapid replies and suggestions.

Perhaps I should have explained that Margarets father William was in the Royal Artillery. I have details of older and younger children born in various places on a military baptism sheet.
One of Margaret's younger brothers gives his mothers name as Mary Kennedy, but am not sure if she was Williams second wife and not Margarets mother.
I didn't realise there were no birth certificates for the year of her birth.