Author Topic: Whichello Marriages  (Read 1040 times)

Offline Silkbraid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Whichello Marriages
« on: Monday 28 January 19 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
Researching the Whichello (& other spellings) family and have 2 marriages, both in Tetsworth:
William Whichello m Ann Green 2 Mar 1772
Thomas Whichello m Ann Green two years later on 17 Nov 1774
I assumed William died, but can't find a burial for him, and in the 2nd marriage, there is no mention of Ann being a widow - am I missing something?
Silkbraid

Online CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
Re: Whichello Marriages
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Silkbraid,

Ancestry has two baptisms for possibly relevant Ann GREENs in Tetsworth.

14 June (1751), daughter of Thomas and Ann

23 August (1751), daughter of William and Ann

However I believe that these should both be dated 1752.  The date of each entry shows the year as '17', but the rest is lost between the left- and right-hand pages as the book doesn't lie flat.  On the previous page 1771 is clearly written, and 1772 is on the following page.

I haven't looked any further to see whether both Anns survived, but they might hold the solution you're looking for :)

Carol

OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 08:46 GMT (UK) »
If she married William Whichello in 1772 as Ann Green, and William died she would surely have married Thomas in 1774 as Ann Whichello, not as Ann Green. This implies that there were two Ann Greens.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Silkbraid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I hadn’t thought of the possibility of two Ann Greens - thanks. Linked to that, I was looking for a child - Mary, who married George Costar in 1797. William & Ann had a daughter called Mary who died in 1773, so that couldn’t be the right one. Thomas & Ann had one baptised in 1781, which would make her only 16 when she married George. Do you think that’s possible?

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 09:53 GMT (UK) »
HI, yes could easily have married at 16.  Another option is that she wasn't baptised as a baby and 1781 might not have been her birth year - she could have been a few years old at that point.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Online CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 09:59 GMT (UK) »
If she married William Whichello in 1772 as Ann Green, and William died she would surely have married Thomas in 1774 as Ann Whichello, not as Ann Green. This implies that there were two Ann Greens.

I thought of that, but the clergy in Tetsworth had a confusing habit of getting the brides to sign the register as 'Ann (new surname) late (old surname)'.  I've never seen this anywhere else.

In 1772, William WHICHELLO signed while 'Ann WHICHELLO late GREEN' made her mark.

In 1774, Thomas WHICHELO made his mark while his bride signed as 'Ann WICHLOW late GREEN'.

Does 'late' equate to maiden name, so that it would always be GREEN regardless of other marriages?  Did Ann learn to write her own name in the intervening 2+ years?

I lean toward this being two separate Anns.  GREEN is not a rare name, after all.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Personally I would read 'late' as being the last name she was known by, rather than her maiden name, but I could be wrong.

I do agree that it is most likely there were two Ann Greens.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Silkbraid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the replies, it's really great to get them - definitely gives me something to look into.