Author Topic: Possible Catholic Boarding Schools in 1851?  (Read 3577 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Catholic Boarding Schools in 1851?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 16:04 GMT (UK) »

I am assuming that if he were at school that I will be able to find him but experience has shown how differently the name can be transcribed.

I am searching the northern area first and also around Sheffield as I know the Mastaglios had business interests there. I suspect that it will not be one of the major schools though.

There were smaller private schools. Some were in large(ish) houses in residential streets.
Some Catholic elementary schools had a Higher Grade or Upper school for children of better-off parents.
Here are a few examples of Catholic education mid-late 19thC Preston, Lancashire, when some of my Catholic families lived there.
A Catholic Upper School was opened in 1855 in the street where my middle-class ancestors lived. It was "intended to meet the wants of the upper and middle-classes of Catholics in Preston". ("The Preston Chronicle" Jan. 13th 1855.)
A Catholic Grammar School was opened in nearby Winckley Square in 1865 with 11 pupils. It was hoped that some pupils would go on to study for the priesthood.
A Higher Grade Boys' School at St. Ignatius School, run by the Xaverian Brothers order catered for the lower middle classes whose parents neither wanted nor could afford to send their sons to the Grammar School. St. Ignatius Higher Grade School offered a commercial education which would have been more practical use to the boys than the classical curriculum at the Grammar School.
Jesuits and Christian Brother were 2 other orders operating schools for boys in the town.
(Information about schools from "Through Twenty Preston Guilds")
Preston and neighbouring area had a high Catholic population.

If the boy was sent away from home for education, he may have lodged with a local family - leading to more chance of his surname having been mangled on a census return.

Cowban

Offline Spiral

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 February 19 18:03 GMT (UK) »
If the boy was sent away from home for education, he may have lodged with a local family - leading to more chance of his surname having been mangled on a census return.

I know :(. I only found his brothers by chance when I was looking for their mother's relatives in Felton. Vittorio Mastaglio was transcribed as William Mastaghi.  ???

I will keep looking but I suspect I will only find him if I have another stroke of luck.

Thanks for all your help

Offline Spiral

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Well I had one stroke of luck and found that John was at Sedgley Park School near Wolverhampton  Aug. 1848-Sep. 1849. He is not there in 1851 however. The search goes on!

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 23:08 GMT (UK) »
That's a coincidence. Recently I came across letters from a cousin of my 2xGGF in the records of Sedgley Park School in National Archives catalogue. The cousin was a priest He wrote to Mr Malfait, vice principal, twice in 1873 . The collection is held by Birmingham Archdiocese Archives.
How old was John 1848-1851? Have you searched for his Confirmation or First Communion? There are some Birmingham Catholic records on Find My Past.
Cowban

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 28 March 19 15:19 GMT (UK) »
In case it helps, here are some dates of founding
Ampleforth, York  1802
Douai, Woolhampton  1615
Downside, Stratton on the Fosse, Somerset  1607
St Edmund's, Ware
Mount St Mary's College, Spinkhill, Derbyshire  1842
Ratcliffe College, Leicester  1844
Stoneyhurst, Walley, Lancs.  1593

Those are members of the Headmasters' Conference.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Spiral

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 28 March 19 18:00 GMT (UK) »
John was 11 in 1848 and 12 when he left so he could have been confirmed whilst there but given the
 devout nature of the family (his mother Mary-Ann Fleming was from an old English Catholic family in Felton Northumberland as well as Vittorio, his father, being an Italian immigrant) I suspect I may have more success up in the Newcastle records when I can get up there. I do intend to go to the Birmingham Archdiocese Archives one day soon as I have some research to do on my husband's family so will be able to see if anything jumps out at me ;).
John is not on the pupil lists published by the Douai Society unfortunately - I have wondered if he was sent to one of the English Colleges on the Continent but if so it was one of the other schools.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 28 March 19 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Sedgley Park School was founded to educate sons of middle and poorer classes of Catholics. "boys being mostly from the mercantile class, did not remain long at the school. Few stayed longer than 4 years, many only 1 or 2."  Moved to what became known as Cotton College in 1873.  (Wikipedia)

There's also information on Wayback Machine Internet Archive.
"As most of the boys were intended to follow their fathers into the family business, a full rounded education was offered." There were extra fees for optional subjects. Dancing lessons incurred an extra fee. Boys were admitted between ages 7-14.

A History of Sedgley Park School written by a past pupil and published 1856 is on Internet Archive .

Sedgley Park is also the name of a 20th century Catholic teacher -training college near Manchester.
Cowban