Author Topic: Update problem via Kaspesky Security Suite  (Read 225 times)

Offline Musicman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Update problem via Kaspesky Security Suite
« on: Tuesday 29 January 19 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Help required please - for a ‘non-techie’!

Desktop PC: OS is W10, Opera Browser, with Kaspersky’s Internet Security Suite which includes a Software Update feature. Over the past week, the Updater has been continually (2/3 times a day) trying to update Opera – and failing (unknown reason) each time. 

The Control Panel’s Program list shows:

Opera Stable – 57.0.3098.91 – 10.12.2018
Opera Stable – 58.0.3135.47 – 29.01.19
The second line seems to indicate that it has been installed – if so, why does it regularly tell me that it has failed?
A screenshot of Kaspersky’s Update panel is attached below:

Thanks
John

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline hallmark

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Update problem via Kaspesky Security Suite
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Something or nothing....

I use Avast, which used to Update and Install automatically.

Luckily a few weeks ago I did go and Right Click on Avast Icon just to see if everything was up to date, Virus Definitions, Engine.

There were updates sitting there and only installed while I was checking...

With your post I went and checked again.....and yes there was another Update sitting there and as you can see it only installed when I checked.  You can see it only installing the Update (below)

Maybe you have similar problem??

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline hallmark

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 10:34 GMT (UK) »
As you see I have it set to Automatically Update....but it doesn't!!

Offline Musicman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 January 19 07:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks hallmark for your comments – much appreciated.  My apologies for my late reply but have had problems with my home’s plumbing!  Not easy to find someone available to do the work quickly especially in this cold weather.  However – back on topic – I’ve had a look using your comments which, sadly, don’t seem to help – or perhaps I’m just not very good at following instructions.  So, have sent an email to the technicians at Kaspersky and let them help.  :)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 January 19 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi MM

I had problems with Kaspersky on my Mac  last year. It just wouldn't update. I tried all the online solutions but they didn't work so I messaged their help line. They were not at all helpful.  I now use another security package.

Gadget 
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 January 19 12:39 GMT (UK) »
My suggestion would be to uninstall the latest version of Opera from your control panel, reboot your pc and let Kaspersky go through it's process of identifying the latest update and hopefully installing it with no problems being encountered. It maybe just that the previous installation got a bit muddled and now can't recover. You don't say which of the 2 versions of Opera is actually running on your PC, I assume it must still be the December version as that hasn't been removed.

If that doesn't work, consider uninstalling the older Opera version as well and start the installation from scratch.

Is there a way of removing Opera from the Kaspersky updater? If so you may want to remove it and just install Opera without using Kaspersky.

Simon

Offline Musicman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 February 19 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies.  This taken from Opera’s Menu drop-down panel: Your version is 58.0.3135.53 Opera is up to date.  I also noticed on those pages the following: ‘Your Opera browser will automatically update when a new version is available. You can check its status in Update & Recovery.’ 
This suggests Opera has updated its program – and that Kaspersky’s ‘Software Updater’ app is trying to update Opera and failing as that’s already been done.  But yesterday, having become a bit more adventurous (!), I delved a bit more into the workings of Kaspersky and found the opera_autoupdate.exe and blocked that.  Hopefully, this will stop these irritating ‘update failed’ notifications popping up 3 or 4 times a day!

PS Today, Kaspersky’s updater is still trying to install the update! :o I await an email from K’s technicians.