Author Topic: Can't make out birthplace  (Read 466 times)

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
Re: Can't make out birthplace
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 04:29 GMT (UK) »
Do you know if the family was ever in Australia?  There was a Belfast in Victoria, Australia at that time (Now called Port Fairy in Western Victoria) - and we were a British Colony then too.

Just throwing it in for what it is worth.

Edit

Hi, I think I've found him and his wife in the 1851 census. But look at Margaret Con who is a lodger, I think for her birthplace it says Van Diemen's Land - British Subject. A long way from Tasmania to Bolton Lancs.

That would mean she is British by virtue of her parents citizenship (namely her father) but she herself was not born in Britain.

Sorry just seen OP's find - so my thought isn't so far out after all.  Not so far from Tassie to Western Victoria, Australia, and it was settled early.

Wiggy   ;)

Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriess,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline orkneyman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 07:47 GMT (UK) »
If I have the right people, in the previous 2 censuses he just says Ireland for his birthplace.
Brooks, Hart, Vose, Walsh, O'Neil, Astley, Yates, Lewis, Gregson, Hollings, Heyes.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 08:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I think I've found him and his wife in the 1851 census. But look at Margaret Con who is a lodger, I think for her birthplace it says Van Diemen's Land - British Subject. A long way from Tasmania to Bolton Lancs.

That would mean she is British by virtue of her parents citizenship (namely her father) but she herself was not born in Britain.

Australian citizenship didn't exist until 1949.  Before that, everyone born in the colonies was simply a British subject.  Maybe those words were added to help those who didn't know where VDL was ;D

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch