Author Topic: Registration of Births for Armed Services serving overseas  (Read 216 times)

Offline Bessria1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Registration of Births for Armed Services serving overseas
« on: Tuesday 29 January 19 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello   Can anyone help please.  I am trying to locate the birth certificate of my grandfather born in 1886 in Cairo where I believe his Dad was serving at the time.  I have found nothing on FindMyPast/Ancestry and the GRO have no trace.  I contacted the Embassy in Cairo as suggested by GRO and they suggested a hire a Solicitor to help.    Through another forum I have seen a document for a members father born in Egypt but 40 years after my grandfather.  It is states it is a Form to be used for notifying a Birth for UK armed service personnel serving overseas.  Has anyone any ideas where I could find such a register?  Many thanks. 

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: REGISTRATION OF BIRTHS FOR ARMED SERVICES SERVING OVERSEAS
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Seeing that you have looked in all the right places, I am wondering if the name was mistranscribed.  Have you tried variations of the surname?

If you want to post Grampa's name, we can help you hunt!

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Looking to the past - or the future?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 17:15 GMT (UK) »
my grandfather born in 1886 in Cairo where I believe his Dad was serving at the time
Could his father have been serving, say, in the diplomatic corps or something else rather than the army?
Seeking: baptism Philip Murray 1813 nr Chatham Kent, death Ralph James Dunn b 1808 1861 - 1868 in Newington 1861
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Nova Scotia [Halifax, Pictou]: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Looking at your old posts, is it the birth record of Roland Gordon Sercombe Ayling you are looking for?

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=804915.msg6633177#msg6633177

If so, it seems that he (father William) was discharged from the Army Hospital Corp in 1881, and with Roland being born 5 yrs later, I would doubt he would be in the Armed Services Records, and as for the record set of UK born overseas, I have always found them to be spotty. 
As Roland was baptized in Devon several months after birth, perhaps they were on a trip to Egypt at the time?

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi
His baptism July 1st 1886 (says born Cairo 7th Jan 1886) in Exeter parents William and Jessy Louisa, Trinity Street.
Williams occ is Warder.
Exeter & Plymouth Gazette 22nd January1886

Births
Ayling--- Jan 7th at the Citadel, Cairo. the wife of Mr W Ayling, a son

Exeter & Plymouth Gazette 6th March 1880
Marriages
on Dec 25th Corpl. W Ayling AHC of Monaghan, Ireland to Miss Jessy Louise Sercombe of Trinity Street, Exeter.

So a warder/corporal in the AHC,  not sure what that stands for.
Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Aha, knew someone would know
Thanks bbart :)
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Aha, knew someone would know
Thanks bbart :)

Thanks!   :) ... but all the credit goes to ShaunJ from his post on the matter :
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=804915.msg6633361#msg6633361

Bessria: On the 1911 census, William is a joiner.  If you couldn't find Roland in 1911, he is transcribed as Roland Goodfor Ayling.

Offline Bessria1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Registration of Births for Armed Services serving overseas
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to everyone who has replied, all very helpful. 
I have Rowland in all the census records thank you
Family stories were that Rowland's Dad William was in the Army and I have found some records for a William Ayling AHC, Army Hospital Corp, including some discharge papers but I was not convinced it was him.  Unfortunately no birth certificate or baptism can be found for William.  There is a civil service evidence of age document that is possibly his but not conclusive.
Thank you I had not seen the newspapers articles, I have now upgraded my FindMyPast and got them.  That is another step forward.
My Dad said at one time that there was a bit of a mystery and a taboo subject as to why William and his wife were in Cairo.  Dad said that he was either in the army or possibly the prison service.  I have been fixated on him being in the army because of previous records and had not read the word Warder on the baptism.    I could never understand why being in the army would be taboo.   Perhaps it was the prison service right enough.     
They were not wealthy and already had 4 children before grandad Rowland was born in Cairo.  I wouldn't think they had money for trips.      Thanks again I have a few things to follow up on now