Author Topic: Registration of Births for Armed Services serving overseas  (Read 808 times)

Offline Bessria1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Registration of Births for Armed Services serving overseas
« on: Tuesday 29 January 19 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello   Can anyone help please.  I am trying to locate the birth certificate of my grandfather born in 1886 in Cairo where I believe his Dad was serving at the time.  I have found nothing on FindMyPast/Ancestry and the GRO have no trace.  I contacted the Embassy in Cairo as suggested by GRO and they suggested a hire a Solicitor to help.    Through another forum I have seen a document for a members father born in Egypt but 40 years after my grandfather.  It is states it is a Form to be used for notifying a Birth for UK armed service personnel serving overseas.  Has anyone any ideas where I could find such a register?  Many thanks. 

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: REGISTRATION OF BIRTHS FOR ARMED SERVICES SERVING OVERSEAS
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Seeing that you have looked in all the right places, I am wondering if the name was mistranscribed.  Have you tried variations of the surname?

If you want to post Grampa's name, we can help you hunt!

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 17:15 GMT (UK) »
my grandfather born in 1886 in Cairo where I believe his Dad was serving at the time
Could his father have been serving, say, in the diplomatic corps or something else rather than the army?
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Looking at your old posts, is it the birth record of Roland Gordon Sercombe Ayling you are looking for?

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=804915.msg6633177#msg6633177

If so, it seems that he (father William) was discharged from the Army Hospital Corp in 1881, and with Roland being born 5 yrs later, I would doubt he would be in the Armed Services Records, and as for the record set of UK born overseas, I have always found them to be spotty. 
As Roland was baptized in Devon several months after birth, perhaps they were on a trip to Egypt at the time?

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi
His baptism July 1st 1886 (says born Cairo 7th Jan 1886) in Exeter parents William and Jessy Louisa, Trinity Street.
Williams occ is Warder.
Exeter & Plymouth Gazette 22nd January1886

Births
Ayling--- Jan 7th at the Citadel, Cairo. the wife of Mr W Ayling, a son

Exeter & Plymouth Gazette 6th March 1880
Marriages
on Dec 25th Corpl. W Ayling AHC of Monaghan, Ireland to Miss Jessy Louise Sercombe of Trinity Street, Exeter.

So a warder/corporal in the AHC,  not sure what that stands for.
Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Aha, knew someone would know
Thanks bbart :)
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Aha, knew someone would know
Thanks bbart :)

Thanks!   :) ... but all the credit goes to ShaunJ from his post on the matter :
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=804915.msg6633361#msg6633361

Bessria: On the 1911 census, William is a joiner.  If you couldn't find Roland in 1911, he is transcribed as Roland Goodfor Ayling.

Offline Bessria1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Registration of Births for Armed Services serving overseas
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to everyone who has replied, all very helpful. 
I have Rowland in all the census records thank you
Family stories were that Rowland's Dad William was in the Army and I have found some records for a William Ayling AHC, Army Hospital Corp, including some discharge papers but I was not convinced it was him.  Unfortunately no birth certificate or baptism can be found for William.  There is a civil service evidence of age document that is possibly his but not conclusive.
Thank you I had not seen the newspapers articles, I have now upgraded my FindMyPast and got them.  That is another step forward.
My Dad said at one time that there was a bit of a mystery and a taboo subject as to why William and his wife were in Cairo.  Dad said that he was either in the army or possibly the prison service.  I have been fixated on him being in the army because of previous records and had not read the word Warder on the baptism.    I could never understand why being in the army would be taboo.   Perhaps it was the prison service right enough.     
They were not wealthy and already had 4 children before grandad Rowland was born in Cairo.  I wouldn't think they had money for trips.      Thanks again I have a few things to follow up on now