Author Topic: Danos family in LaRose Louisiana in the 1930's  (Read 1069 times)

Offline BillyBowlegs

• RootsChat Veteran
  • William Augustus Bowles (1763-1805)
    • View Profile
Danos family in LaRose Louisiana in the 1930's
« on: Tuesday 29 January 19 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Dear Rootschatters,

This old photo of my late in-laws could really use some help. Would anyone care to clean it up for me, please, if possible?

LaRose, Louisiana is in the southernmost portion of the southern US State of Louisiana. It is actually south of New Orleans, Louisiana. The majority of the people still speak French. They are descendants of the French Acadians who fled Canada from persecution, I believe in the 18th century.

If someone could clean it up and remove the stains and creases I would really appreciate it.

Thank you so much again in advance.

Best Regards,

Billy

Lovelock - 2nd St. Pancras tree on the Lovelock Family Web site.
Woods family from Petersfield.

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Danos family in LaRose Louisiana in the 1930's
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Till the good ones appear:

Offline BillyBowlegs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 02:00 GMT (UK) »
Till the good ones appear:

That looks great to me Japeflakes!

Thank you so much for cleaning it up and removing the stain and creases on this old family photo!

all the best,

Billy

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Billy,
One from me, but I couldn't workout what was happening on the right hand side of the photo, so I'm afraid I've cut some of it off.
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline BillyBowlegs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Billy,
One from me, but I couldn't workout what was happening on the right hand side of the photo, so I'm afraid I've cut some of it off.
Pat
That's beautiful Pat! You sure did a wonderful job on the "good bits" and that's what counts! The picture is old and rather faded, but the structures off to the right side were probably outbuildings or perhaps even the neighbors houses. You are right in saying it's difficult to make them out in the picture. I could not quite make them out either.

The houses down in the bayou country (swamps) were very basic wooden structures usually built a couple of feet off the ground by the men folk in the family. They were what we called "Shotgun" houses in the far southern US when I was growing up. That term came from the fact that you could open the front door and the back door of the house and shoot a shotgun through the house without hitting anything!  ;D

I almost bought one of these houses in the late 60's when I lived down there for a while. This was my wife's extended family and suddenly I went to having a handful of relatives to having dozens of them. It was great and very educational for me. All were descended from the French, called themselves Cajuns and were very proud of their heritage. My parents were English and I was really different from them so they teased me and called me English. They loved me and I loved them back and we just had the best times together!

Anyway, I plan to share the new and improved photos with the Danos family and I'm sure that they will be as thrilled with them as I am.

Thank you once again for coming to my rescue and restoring one of my old family photos for me, Pat!  :D

All the best,

Billy
PS- I just had another look at the original scan and I think the object off to the right is the chicken coop. It is made of corrugated roofing tin with chicken wire just above it so the chickens can look out and be happy. Happy chickens lay tastier eggs!  ;D

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Billy that is very interesting. It must be lovely being part of such a big family especially from different back grounds. This is what makes the world go around.
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 January 19 16:52 GMT (UK) »
What a great photo and such a lovely story ...thanks for sharing Billy. I missed this one but Pat has done a great job.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline BillyBowlegs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 31 January 19 18:54 GMT (UK) »
What a great photo and such a lovely story ...thanks for sharing Billy. I missed this one but Pat has done a great job.
Carol

Thank you Carol! She did do quite a good job, didn't she?

It's great to hear from you!

All the best to you,

Billy

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 February 19 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Billy...I gave it a go too.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU