Author Topic: Lionel Moreton, b1893 London - disappears after 1911  (Read 1171 times)

Offline Sandy_W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lionel Moreton, b1893 London - disappears after 1911
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 16:56 GMT (UK) »
John, that's brilliant, thank you! So Lionel went on the run for a few days, I wonder what prompted that. He can't have been that "feeble-minded" if he survived on his own for three days. I wonder if he absconded again at some point in the future (from Darenth?) and either changed his name or came to a sticky end and no-one knew his name. I'll probably never know. Where did you find those records, by the way?

Milliepede, one of those private trees is probably mine  ;) 

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Where did you find those records, by the way?

Hi
On ancestry
London, England, Poor Law and Board of Guardian Records, 1738-1930
https://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1557

Lionel's record is here if you have access
My links don't always work though, hope for the best
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nbr/

You do need to see what you make of the possible faint Darenth.
There's other Pancras stuff on there
Register of Children Boarded Out, 1883-1926
which is listed under
Camden/Pancras/Register of Children/Register of Children Under the Protection of the Guardians, 1891-1910

with the Moreton children on image 40
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nbs/

Should be quite a bit of Leavesden stuff on there, including
Register of Children at Leavesden, 1895-1923
Moretons on a few pages, starting here
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nbt/

EDIT It's find it yourself in the main. Apart from the workhouse A+D's, not too much of it has been indexed on ancestry.
John

Offline Sandy_W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks John, I didn't even know those particular records were on there! I don't have an Ancestry subscription at the moment but my library has free access so I'll take advantage of that later in the week. Thank you for taking the time to look all that up for me, I really appreciate it.

Offline SimonMoreton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 20 March 22 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello! I know this thread was initiated a little while ago, so I hope that @sandy_W you're still active on the board! I was wondering if you had any further info on Arthur Moreton, the man who deserted Lionel, Arthur, Herbert, and their siblings?

I've been trying to trace my great-grandfather, Arthur George Moreton (b. 1872? d. 1922), and there's a faint possibility that he may have been the same man as the Luton/London Arthur Moreton.

My great-grandfather first appears in the records we know of marrying his wife (Louisa Smith Buss, b. 1887) in 1915. He was a widower. However, before that, we don't know where he came from. We can't find him on any census pre-1921 with the details we know about him. He also seems to have lied on on the 1921 census about where he was from and on his marriage certificate about his father's name (none of this info checks out with any source I can search, inc. General Records Office).

Assuming he didn't lie about his name, I've traced all the Arthur Moreton's I can with available info, and the strongest candidate that remains so far is the Arthur Moreton, son of George Owen and Mary Ann Moreton and this the man who married Rhoda.

I've traced 'your' Arthur Moreton (Rhoda's widower) to Luton in 1911, living with his sister Gertrude Wood (nee Moreton). After that, I've no idea! If you have any idea about what happened to him, I'd love to hear it!

Other things I found out:

There was an Arthur Moreton, who acted in a play called the Klondyke Nugget between 1899 and 1904, touring the UK. The 1911 census has Rhoda's Arthur Moreton as being a 'comedian' by occupation. It's possible he may be the same one, as his touring coincides with the time he deserted his family. Bit of a guess though!

George Owen Moreton, Rhoda's father in-law, was charged six times with assault for beating his wife. An article in the Leighton Buzzard Observer and Linslade Gazette on Tuesday 12th April 1898, reports that:

"A policeman on duty in Luton on Saturday night was accosted by two little girls, who gave him the startling information that their father was ‘‘ killing mother.”” Happily an investigation ot the matter showed that the children, in their terror, had rather exaggerated the state of affairs. The father was only venting his drunken spite upon the partner of his sorrows and his ‘‘ joys,” and when the constable interfered, he too received a blow in the face. At the Borough Police Court on Wednesday, the offender, George Owen Moreton by name, pleaded for leniency for ‘‘ the sake of his wife and children.’ He had previously been convicted six times for assaults, and the magistrates let him off with a fine of twenty shillings, including costs, or fourteen days’ in default. It is a pity that such fellows should be able to ill-use their wives and children, and then put forward the victims of their brutality as an excuse for lenient treatment for themselves."

Finally, an Arthur Moreton appeared in court in 1949 at age 78, for stealing a packet of tea in Nottinghamshire. He was described as a retired hatmaker from Luton, who had taken to the road as a traveller in the 1920s. I think this is a different Arthur Moreton to the one who left Rhoda as he wasn't a hatmaker (though his family all were), and there is another, younger, Arthur Moreton who was... but again, it's all speculation! Mind you, if the tea-stealer and Rhoda's widower *were* the same person, he couldn't be my great grandfather... so close and yet so far!

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 20 March 22 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Welcome Simon, Sandy was online 10 days ago she will be notified of your reply by email ;)

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sandy_W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 20 March 22 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Simon,

I couldn't find any trace of Arthur Moreton after that 1911 Luton census, so it's very possible that he and your Great-GF are one and the same. Your Arthur had the middle name George, which was my Arthur's father's name, so I think that lends a bit of weight to the theory.

Have you taken an Ancestry DNA test? I have a DNA match with one of Arthur and Rhoda's 2xGreat Granddaughters - so whether or not you match with her would give you your answer (well, that's assuming, of course, that Arthur Moreton was the father of all of Rhoda's children - I have no reason to suspect otherwise but you can never take anything for granted in genealogy!).

Offline SimonMoreton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 21 March 22 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for your response. By chance your Arthur Moreton's birth certificate arrived yesterday, and he certainly wasn't registered nor christened with 'George' as a middle name - so my great-grandfather could have adopted that as an affectation... or been a totally different person!

Other circumstantial evidence is that on his wedding certificate my great grandfather claimed his father was a farmer Henry Joseph Moreton. I can't find anyone by that name that fits the bill date-wise in terms of occupation or location that he claimed to be from. But I note that your Arthur did have a son called Henry J! Coincidences?!

I've never taken a DNA test for this stuff before, but that's an intriguing suggestion! I'll have a think..