Author Topic: Archibald Bell...  (Read 1419 times)

Offline IainBell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Archibald Bell...
« on: Wednesday 30 January 19 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello again, good people!
I've been going round in ever-decreasing circles trying to find a marriage record for the aforementioned Archibald Bell to a Mary McTavish. Would be helpful to confirm parents names.

Mary McTavish died Aug.29 1877, her parents names I therefore have. Great.

More info:
Archibald Bell and Mary McTavish are on my G.Grandfather Lachlan Bells marriage certificate as parents, in 1872, when he married May Fraser. This is solid info, as Lachlan and May are the top two names on the gravestone. So far, so good.
I have a death certificate for AN Archibald Bell, at age 84, in Lochgair, Glassary. This puts his D.o.B. as c. 1795. Birth cert. for him, 1796, same parents names as death cert. (Archibald Bell and Janet Ferguson).
Problem is, that in the census year 1841 he comes up as 40, Mary, 40, wheen of kids, then Lachlan at 2 years old. so 40 puts D.o.B. as c.1800. The wheen of kids vanishes by 1851, where Archibald is then 56, Mary 54, Lachlan 11.
You then have to search for Lachlan, Archibald isn't registered. 1861, Archibald is 63, Mary is 63, Lachlan is 20. Also mentioned are Arch. Bell (G.son) and Hugh McIntyre (G.son). They're another day... :)
Common threads are that Arch. is a joiner, and all in Glassary, Lochgair.
1871, Lachlan is 28 and moved out, search for Mary makes Arch. 74, Mary 74.
1881 Lachlan is back in the family home, married to May Fraser, and all fits thereafter.
So in summary: Archibald is 40 in 1841, 56 in 1851, 63 in 1861, 74 in 1871, dead by 1881.
I know census age is not that accurate, but the above seem...odd. ???
Am I barking up the wrong tree? (Sorry!)
Iain
Bell, McRae, Granlie, Petersen (in Denmark). Seems I'm now hunting McVicars, McIntyres, Murdochs...and there's a Livingstone in there somewhere!

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald Bell...
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 12:05 GMT (UK) »
     Adult ages (from age 15 upwards) on 1841 Census were rounded DOWN to the nearest age divisible by 5. ie: ages from 40 - 44 rounded down to 40. That's supposing they gave their right age to start with. A year or two out could make quite a difference between actual age and recorded age.
     Regards,     Dod.

P.S. 1841 Census was taken 6/7 June. Census from 1851 onwards were taken about 1st week in April.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 16:08 GMT (UK) »
The wheen of kids vanishes

always keen to learn new words can I ask what a "wheen" of kids is please?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline IainBell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Dod, thanks, that kind of sorts it out.
Millipede, 'wheen' is a Scottish word, meaning 'a fair few'...in this particular case, seven.
Iain
Bell, McRae, Granlie, Petersen (in Denmark). Seems I'm now hunting McVicars, McIntyres, Murdochs...and there's a Livingstone in there somewhere!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 20:20 GMT (UK) »

You then have to search for Lachlan, Archibald isn't registered. 1861, Archibald is 63, Mary is 63, Lachlan is 20. Also mentioned are Arch. Bell (G.son) and Hugh McIntyre (G.son). They're another day... :)

From 1861, possible entry for grandson Hugh McIntyre (the original image would let you confirm his age):

Hugh Bell Macintyre
Birth 3 Mar 1854 GLASSARY,ARGYLL,SCOTLAND
Parents Lachlan Macintyre and Janet Bell

Archibald MacVicar
Birth  8 Aug 1860 GLASSARY,ARGYLL,SCOTLAND
Parents John Macvicar and Janet Bell

Maybe the same Janet Bell? A marriage for a Janet Bell to a John McVicar shows on 24 February 1857 in Glassary.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Millipede, 'wheen' is a Scottish word, meaning 'a fair few'...in this particular case, seven.
Iain

Thanks Iain.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline IainBell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Millipede, you're welcome! My first, albeit tiny, contribution! Yay! ;)
MonicaL,
I think you might have nailed it there. Too late at night to dig, but I will in the morning!
I have a 'loose' Janet Bell, my G.G-fathers sister, born 1828, another one from 1835, Ist c.3x removed. (Maybe a bit young, but who knows?) Unfortunately, the original image, which I have, doesn't give an age for G.son Hugh McIntyre, so I'll have to dig to be sure. Also, G.son might have been a 'loose' description?
Archibald McVicar may well be a relative, but the census has mine as Arch.d Bell (13), so...I haven't researched much outside the direct line so far, but I'll get there! A Janet Bell married John McVicar, I'll find out if she's 'mine'...
You've certainly given some meat to get my teeth into, though, thank you very much! :)
There were certainly plenty of McVicars in Lochgair, 36 Bells from various families in 1841, + full supporting cast! Lively little place back when...
Just discovered today that Glassary Parish was 'upgraded' to Kilmichael-Glassary between the 1851 and 1861 censuses. Explains why I didn't find my lot searching in Glassary...
Learning all the time, love it!
Many thanks for your help! ;D
Iain

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 31 January 19 20:05 GMT (UK) »

Archibald McVicar may well be a relative, but the census has mine as Arch.d Bell (13), so...I haven't researched much outside the direct line so far, but I'll get there! A Janet Bell married John McVicar, I'll find out if she's 'mine'...

Iain, the reason I thought Archibald McVicar was connected to the family is because he showed as grandson to Archibald and Mary in 1871. All showing as born Glassary:

Archd Bell 74 joiner
Mary Bell 74
Archd Bell 22 grandson
Archd Mcvicar 9 grandson

Address: No 5 Gallanach

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IainBell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 January 19 22:34 GMT (UK) »
MonicaL,
Of course...my brain hurts! Too many Bells...and others.
I took a break today, fixed my car. Easier...
I did a little digging, however...can't help myself!
However...Hugh is on the 1861 census as being 13, so born c.1848. So the one you found, is, unfortunately, not him.
I didn't  make the connection to the 1871 census. I have printouts, so I should have. Still making mistakes with the basics.
I think I may be doing something else wrong, as well, as I cannot find, despite your information, a marriage for Janet Bell to John McVicar, or a Hugh McIntyre born 1854. The info. is obviously there to see, but I'm making a mistake somewhere. I'll go back to basics tomorrow, but many thanks for your help so far! Much appreciated!
Iain