Author Topic: Request for an MI photo St James Churchyard Milnrow Rochdale Lancs  (Read 1263 times)

Offline ann57

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Request for an MI photo St James Churchyard Milnrow Rochdale Lancs
« on: Wednesday 30 January 19 12:06 GMT (UK) »
I wonder whether there is any kind soul local to this church who might be able to have a wander and take a photo for me. The information I have is for Thomas Cretney age 76 burial 8 April 1889 at St James Churchyard Milnrow Lancshire. His abode was Hollingworth School House and is in the register of burials 1885-1908 Page 49 Entry 391. Any photographic assistance would be gratefully received. Thanks :D

Offline musictrish

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Request for an MI photo St James Churchyard Milnrow Rochdale Lancs
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I hate to say it but I doubt very much if the gravestone is still visible. The last time i visited to search for my own ancestors most of the gravestones are now through nature, grassed over and not visible. If you can get in touch with Touchstones in Rochdale (Google it ), they have lots of transcribed inscriptions for St James, Milnrow (I found mine ),  and I think they only charge, (or they did) a couple of pounds for a copy. They are really helpful.

Trish

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

St James looks as though it has quite a substantial graveyard, and it may be difficult to search for a grave.  Are you certain that there is a MI for the grave?

A transcript of MIs is available at Lancashire Records Office, so it might be an idea to verify the existence of a headstone in the first instance.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TinaRoyal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann,

If you can, try and get someone to visit the Graveyard.  This is what I found in the St. Chad’s records at Touchstones for a relative of mine, as prepared by the Rochdale Borough Surveyor’s Office, “P34.  John Farrady – plasterer, age 50, died 14th March 1831, also Elizabeth the wife of the above named John Farraday, age 67, died 12th September 1847, also Margaret their daughter, age 1, died 31st October 1835”.

I went to the Graveyard myself, cleaned the Gravestone up, this is what it said, “In Memory of John Farraday, Plasterer who died 14th March 1831 aged 50 years.  Farewell dear Wife for I am at rest, Farewell my Children for I am blest, Farewell my Friends I’ve left a World of care. To meet my GOD to follow me prepare.  Allso of Elizabeth Wife of the above named John Farraday: who died Sept 12th 1847 aged 67 years.  Allso of Margery his Daught who died Oct 31st 1825, Ae 1 Yr & 15 Dys”.

Not quite the same.

Tina.