Author Topic: Two Samuel Fo(o)rds of Ringmer c. 1790 - need help sorting out please  (Read 1248 times)

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Two Samuel Fo(o)rds of Ringmer c. 1790 - need help sorting out please
« on: Wednesday 30 January 19 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi All, not sure if this is possible but thought I would ask for advice.

There are two Samuel Fo(o)rds in Ringmer at the same time.  One bapt 1789 the son of John Ford and Elizabeth Dabson, the other bapt. 1794 the son of Isaac Foord and Elizabeth Fielder.  I have sources for both of these.

Muster Rolls indicate that one of these fought (and probably died in 1815 as indicated in the muster roll), at Waterloo.  The other remained in Ringmer and had  a family of many children with Mary Sawyers whom he married in 1808, and died in 1850.

As my husband descends from Lydia Ford (b.1819), daughter of Samuel and Mary,  it is safe to say that 'his' Samuel is not the one that died at Waterloo - otherwise my husband wouldn't exist!

What I don't know, and what is the crux of the matter, is whether the Samuel who married Mary is the son of John & Elizabeth or Isaac & Elizabeth.

Not one of the 11 children of Samuel & Mary is called Isaac, nor Elizabeth but one is called John but that may not mean much.

The name is commonly written as either Ford or Foord.

I just need some kind of clue as to which Samuel survived.  There are lots of Ancestry trees containing Samuel Ford married to Mary Sawyers, who fought at Waterloo (lots of images of the battle, soldiers & medals!) and also fathered an extensive family in Ringmer between 1809-1832 without much of a gap.  Nearly all of them have their Samuel as a descendant of Isaac & Elizabeth but that, I think, is because a) these people are not aware that there are two Samuels, and b) they haven't realised that one Samuel died at Waterloo according to muster rolls and therefore couldn't have continued to father children after 1815 nor appear in the 1841 census. (HO107/P1117/B5/F34/P13). 

Can anybody find a little nugget of evidence to lead me towards the appropriate Samuel Foord, my husband's third great grandfather.

Thanks, Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Two Samuel Fo(o)rds of Ringmer c. 1790 - need help sorting out please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello
If you look st the marriage of 1808 ,then Samuel has to be at least 16 so born before 1792 at least ,so the one in 1789- 11.10.1789 to John and Elizabeth Foord
Plus his burial 3 Dec 1850 gives his age as 61 so born 1789.

Ciderdrinker