Author Topic: possibly David McConnell and Rose McCreanor  (Read 1487 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: possibly David McConnell and Rose McCreanor
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 16:52 GMT (UK) »
I would guess at 1880s.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Carol. Anyone fancy cleaning it up a bit.?
RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 18:09 GMT (UK) »
It would a good idea to amend the title to include a restore Rosemary.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline russell12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Its hard to say since I can't see the dress silhouette, but I'm going to try to date this going by the bonnet and cape only...

I'm going to say mid to late 1880s.

In the mid 1880s and early 1890s there was a huuge gothic movement** (I don't whether this was influenced by Queen Victoria's penchant for black esp. jet work); but jet beads, heavy passementerie decoration and lace all became extremely fashionable. Elements of this gothic trend can be seen throughout Roses outfit.

** not only seen in fashion but literature too; the book Jekyll and Hyde is a prime example - published 1886.

Circled is a design feature called a 'lappet' - lappets start featuring in clothing from 1881 and by 1892 they go out of fashion. The lappet was an aesthetic feature which mirrored the two back panels which would hang over a woman's bustle cage/pad; in the early 1880s Lappets were usually constructed from wider and longer panel whereas by the late 1880s they became narrower and were usually (but not always) made of passementerie tassels.

Circled (again) is the ruffled lace collar, this style was extremely popular throughout the 1880s and in some ways takes a cue from the Elizabeth ruff. The early 1880s prefers a more exaggerated almost 'jester' like ruff whereas by the late 1880s people seemed to have come to their senses and toned things down a bit  :P

The early 1880s preferred what was called a 'dolman' or sometimes 'mantle' which had heavily trimmed sleeves, that were set at 90 degree angles; the dolman had started to evolve in Western fashion as early as the 1860s so by the early 1890s it was considered a 'retro' design. Rose is wearing a 'cape' (could be a full-circle cape) made from a stiff jacquard.

So. I still haven't been able to pin-point a specific date, maybe the bonnet can help;

My thoughts are that the bonnet is from an earlier date... I could be wrong. But I searched for ever for a fashion plate or extant garment that could help me.

There is no way that the cape is from the 1870s, but the bonnet could be... or at the very least has taken some style cues from the 1870s.

Just to prove my point about the cape - you can definitely tell which one Roses is more similar to...:

In the 1880s women wore their bonnets directly a top the head; usually with the ribbon tied right under the chin.

1888 Fashion Plate ^

^ Then I found an 1870s fashion plate, as you can see the bonnet is worn further back on the head and I noticed that the crown/brim of the bonnet was very similar to the circled examples; I believe they were taking inspiration from the Tudor French hood. Roses bonnet looks to be a mixture of a turban style, passementerie braid, textured horsehair (in some parts) and possibly straw for the base 'crown'.

Final conclusion:

Bonnet - c. 1875-1879

Cape - c. 1885-1888

Photo: 1885-1888!

Hope this helps somewhat.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 31 January 19 01:08 GMT (UK) »
My try. :)
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 31 January 19 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks. You’v Got rid of the scratches.
Rosemary
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 01 February 19 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Well done Peter, I like the completed photo with Rose's other shoulder. I did restore the photo without this addition and was going to attempt to complete it, but I can't compete with your great version.
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 01 February 19 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Pat. You're very kind. :)
Cheers,
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.