Author Topic: Exhuming a deceased relative who is buried  (Read 2882 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Exhuming a deceased relative who is buried
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for those kind thoughts.

Five people EACH WEEK were still dying recently on our UK Rail Network due to suicide.

Don't enter the rail network, keep a safe distance and keep away from edges of platforms (the person's / persons location is often extremely perilous).

However Network Rail believe engaging the person in positive conversation from a safe distance (even through gaps in metal fencing) might be a lifesaver.

If someone is with you and can alert Station Staff, or if remote location and dialling Police in emergency, ask for the 'British Transport Police' first, for people seen acting suspiciously on our UK rail network.

A sign is now up, when looking through the metal railway fence slats, Contact telephone number, Control Signal Box name, Location reference number or a grid reference to tell the Signaller.

Mark

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 31 January 19 07:02 GMT (UK) »
On the practical side of exhumation:

You'll need a licence from The Ministry of Justice.
If the remains are in consecrated ground then permission must be obtained from the Diocesan Court.
There will be a fee to move any Memorial Stone.
A Funeral Director has to be employed to carry it out.
Cemetery Fees have to be paid.
Both an Environmental Health and Cemeteries Officer must be present at the exhumation and will supervise the event to ensure that respect for the deceased person is maintained and that public health is protected.

Exhumations are generally rare and tend to be traumatic for the family involved. They can take a long time to arrange and are usually expensive.

I would hazard a guess that it will be more expensive than a funeral, because of the extra people involved, and extra charges.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 31 January 19 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Agree,  expensive, difficult to arrange, particularly if in New South Wales, Australia and a coroner needs to be involved in the process, and no family members are permitted to witness the exhumation, and they are not allowed to inspect or be part of the activity ...  Around $20,000 in government charges ... plus funeral director fees...

I am assured that the following pdf is the short version of the NSW protocol etc (18 pages) apparently the full version is significantly 'thicker'.  https://www1.health.nsw.gov.au/pds/ActivePDSDocuments/PD2013_046.pdf  I have not read through it, and I am informed that there may be photos of authorised teams in a cemetery undertaking a procedure ... in the pdf. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Paulo Leeds

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 31 January 19 13:45 GMT (UK) »
What a truly horrible idea !

It is horrible.

The chances of the right preservation and the exact perfect conditions required (per film) when they were moving the dead of an old cemetery seem to be about 2 per 1,000 bodies. That kind of rare odds.

Not enough to warrant a bizzare request like this.

As others commented skeletons or nothing, is the usual norm.

Mark

What is "per film"?

Offline jksdelver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 31 January 19 19:04 GMT (UK) »
You can dig 'em up but result is not always what you can expect.

This is the chaps burial of which I gave a description of on another thread the other day.

FROM FREEMAN’S JOURNAL AND DAILY COMMERCIAL ADVERTISER FRIDAY MARCH 22 1872

DESECRATION OF THE DEAD

On Monday, Tuesday and Thursday last a sickening scene was witnessed at the old burial ground, Upper Richmond Road, Putney . The estate of the late Mr. Henry Scarth of Putney, is being administered by the Court of Chancery, to the possession of which there are several claimants. One applied to the Home Secretary, through a “genealogist”, for permission to open the grave of the father of the deceased, a Mr James Scarth who was buried in 1828, with a view to see that the inscription on the coffin agreed with the burial register, and on the supposition that a variance existed in the age of the deceased. The Home Secretary gave his consent, on the allegations that there was a discrepancy between the age as stated on the tombstone and in the burial register, without inquiry or consulting the relatives of the deceased. Certain graves were then opened, and several bodies disturbed, including that of Alice Scarth, the widow of James, whose coffin was brought to the surface, while the burrow was continued underneath. When at a depth of twelve feet that of Ann Scarth, a daughter buried there, was exposed to view; but the coffin of James was not discovered. Ground in three other places was then tested with a sharply pointed iron rod and opened, and other bodies strangers to the family, disturbed. The details of this investigation are too revolting to relate. After three days the search – such as we hope may never occur again – was given up on information given by the descendant of sextant  who buried the deceased, who produced an extract from the Sexton’s book, taken from the inscription plate at the time of the internment, showing the deceased was 59 years of age at the time of death, which agreed with the burial register. The genealogist was present directing operations. The relatives of the deceased were represented by a solicitor. After the all-powerful Home Secretary had sanctioned the proceeding, the distressed realtives could no nothing but join in the vicar’s representation in requiring and insisting that unnecessary indecency, such as lifting one coffin up, on its head whilst those underneath were dug for and examined was avoided. The tombstone stated the deceased was in his 59th year; and the burial register described him as to be aged 39. The Home Office might had easily have inquired that the discrepancy really was, instead of accepting as true the statement in the genealogist’s application that a discrepancy did exist. It remains to be seen whether the Home Secretary has power to order the opening of graves without good reason being assigned.; and if so whether he ought to exercise it upon exparte application of a stranger, and without making any inquiry whether the representations were true., and without regard to the feelings of the distressed relatives of the deceased person, where no suspicion existed as to the cause of death, but simply to gratify a whim.   

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 31 January 19 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello

This might be one, make sure it is the documentary.

A Second Final Rest: The History of San Francisco's Lost Cemeteries. Format: 16mm optical sound film, color. Length: 46 minutes, 16 seconds. Year of Production: 2004.

Website about documentary filmaker Trina Lopez
http://trinalopez.com/finalrest/history.html

Graves were moved to mass graves  ??? , but there were many complaints about the damage to some wonderfully expensive elaborate Memorials that were trashed!!

The vast majority of bodies were moved to mass gravesites in Colma, a small town known as "The City of Souls", just a few miles south of San Francisco. Colma has the peculiar distinction of being home to approximately 2,000 living and 2 million deceased

1950 Report
http://www.sfgenealogy.org/sf/history/hcmcpr.htm

I think the documentary I saw 15 - 20 years ago dealt with a Cemetery in the UK and possibly the removal of the San Francisco Cemeteries.

If you are interested in this kind of thing see also ...

Museum of London (Featured on an English, UK, TV last few week, Alice Roberts?)
The Museum of London holds in its archaeological archive approximately 17,000 skeletal human remains from
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20160923-the-lab-that-contains-20000-skeletons

The Wellcome Collection.

The building of Cross Rail, London, UK
Bedlam Burial Ground 8,000 transcriptions
http://www.crossrail.co.uk/sustainability/archaeology/bedlam-burial-ground-register

HS2 Construction, London, Euston, UK, regarding the removal of 45,000 bodies in London
https://www.hs2.org.uk/building-hs2/archaeology/

Natural History Museum
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/a-history-of-burial-in-london.html

----------

I don't have a macabre interest, but a Retired Building Inspector and former objector to the destruction of my Local Historic Locations, where a 2,000+ year old find was made before a housing development started, that received over 320 Objections with 200 different valid Planning reasons for objection (Planning Dept figures in the Planning Minutes). But it was still passed!  >:(  >:(

Mark