Author Topic: British Army Barracks in Ireland 1876-1890  (Read 5197 times)

Offline InvisiblesRus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
British Army Barracks in Ireland 1876-1890
« on: Wednesday 30 January 19 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know of a list of barracks used by the British Army during this period? It seems my 2x Great Grandfather (and his Irish wife and daughter?) may have spent a number of years, while he was serving, in Ireland. The list I got from the Rifles Brigade museum only says ‘Ireland’. As I’ve no idea what happened to any of them, I’m looking for possible leads. Ireland seems a possibility....

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: British Army Barracks in Ireland 1876-1890
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Where were his wife and child born?
Do you have the child’s birth certificate - that might give you an indication.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline InvisiblesRus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 19:14 GMT (UK) »
His wife was from Birr (Parsonstown), they claimed the daughter was born in Manchester (UK Census 1891/1901), but I have found no birth registration for her. I know Charles was at Crinkill Barracks in 1873, as I have his marriage certificate from the Church of Ireland there.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 19:32 GMT (UK) »
If you can't find a birth Registration for the child -- have you tried looking at British Army births? They may be listed elsewhere as well - but you can see them on Find My Past. They are supposed to be the Army births from overseas, but you never know, she may be listed there.

If she is you can still order a birth cert from the General Register Office in Southport (I know that's not what you are after, but it may give the father's actual location at that time.

Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline InvisiblesRus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 19:37 GMT (UK) »
She’s not listed in regimental births, sadly...

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Presumably this is Salter of the 2nd Battalion Rifle Brigade that you have posted about before??

I don't believe there is a simple list to go to.  Google comes up for example with barracks in County Cork http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~mturner/genealogy/cork/barracks.htm

Another search on "British Army barracks Dublin" brings up all sorts of possiblities.  Then there were barracks in Kildare, another load of Google hits.http://www.kildare.ie/library/ehistory/2012/11/brits_out_recalling_the_britis.asp

That's just from places I can think of immediately, others may think of other places.

You have named a total of 14 years.  Theye weren't in Ireland all that time, the list you have should show which years.  Try also searching the newspaper archive on FindMyPast with "2nd Battalion Rifle Brigade"each year in turn, the reports will give clues.  examples Jan 1873 - Birr  May 1876 - Winchester 1880 Gibraltar.  Note though that all the battalion were not necessarily in the same barracks.

Sorry if it sounds as if I am being difficult, it is just that I am unsure what you will get out of knowing where they were?  Crinkill barracks itself is often rendered as Birr because that is where the barracks was.

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 21:11 GMT (UK) »
There were barracks all over the place. Get a map of Ireland and a pack of pins; close your eyes and stick pins in the map -  chances are, a lot of pins will be near sites of former barracks. Alternatively, select a large town in any Irish county and you'll probably find army barracks.
A large proportion of the British Army were Irish in 19th century.
Tens of thousands of troops were stationed in Ireland during that century.
The period you're interested in was the time of agitation connected with the Irish Land League.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 22:10 GMT (UK) »
There's an interactive online map of army barracks in Ireland. It's earlier than the time you asked about but I should think that many barracks on the map would still have been used in late 19thC.
Army Barracks of Eighteenth Century Ireland
 https://barracks18c.ucd.ie
It's part of a project "Mapping State and Society in Eighteenth Century Ireland.
270 barracks active between 1690 and 1815 have been mapped. There's more detailed information + pictures about barracks in County Armagh. I clicked on "updates" but no mention as to details to be added for barracks in other counties.

The Irish history website https://www.historyireland.com has an article about the Curragh Camp, opened 1855. Thousands of troops were stationed at it. There was a large resident population who made a living by servicing the camp, including a bunch of immoral ladies known as "wrens". The regular number of "wrens" was estimated at around 100 but was said to rise to 500 when the Curragh was full of troops. Put barracks into search box on this website to find articles about barracks in other places.

Googling army barracks in Ireland 1800-1900 brings up plenty of pictures.
Military History Society of Ireland may be worth a look.
There are more posts on RootsChat and other forums about army in Ireland.
Cowban

Offline InvisiblesRus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks a lot!