Author Topic: Died in 1828 but what was he like?  (Read 444 times)

Offline jksdelver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Died in 1828 but what was he like?
« on: Wednesday 30 January 19 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Description found in a newspaper published in the 1870 of a relative
“He was very peculiar in his manners and dress. He wore old-fashioned shoes, nankeen gaiters, nankeen breeches, yellow waistcoat, a blue coat with brass buttons and a long tail, and pigtail.”

“Another description of him “He used to come to our house on a Sunday and have tea, and when my mother would ask him whether he would take another cup of tea, he would reply “No, ma’am, I never take a second cup , for fear I should take another person’s cup.” Once my mother said, “I have a clean cup here,” and he replied, “Then ma’am, I will take another cup.” He was very gentlemanly and polite in his manner, but very pedantic. He had a peculiar manner of knocking at the door, always with two knocks. My mother, knowing his knock, used to go and open the door. He would say to her, “Well, ma’am, is your master at home?” –meaning my father, and she in joke would say, “No such person lives here.” If my father was not at home she would ask him to leave a message, and he would say in in reply, “No, ma’am, I never leave messages of business with a woman.”

Not politically correct I suppose lol

Offline Paulo Leeds

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Died in 1828 but what was he like?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Description found in a newspaper published in the 1870 of a relative
“He was very peculiar in his manners and dress. He wore old-fashioned shoes, nankeen gaiters, nankeen breeches, yellow waistcoat, a blue coat with brass buttons and a long tail, and pigtail.”

“Another description of him “He used to come to our house on a Sunday and have tea, and when my mother would ask him whether he would take another cup of tea, he would reply “No, ma’am, I never take a second cup , for fear I should take another person’s cup.” Once my mother said, “I have a clean cup here,” and he replied, “Then ma’am, I will take another cup.” He was very gentlemanly and polite in his manner, but very pedantic. He had a peculiar manner of knocking at the door, always with two knocks. My mother, knowing his knock, used to go and open the door. He would say to her, “Well, ma’am, is your master at home?” –meaning my father, and she in joke would say, “No such person lives here.” If my father was not at home she would ask him to leave a message, and he would say in in reply, “No, ma’am, I never leave messages of business with a woman.”

Not politically correct I suppose lol

that's a great find, and more than most of us get to ever know I guess

Offline jksdelver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Died in 1828 but what was he like?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Sure is Paulo