Author Topic: Introduction and Help request  (Read 1615 times)

Offline MikeTheMean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Introduction and Help request
« on: Wednesday 30 January 19 22:40 GMT (UK) »
I am the family historian for the Doggett and Contratto families.  My father did all the easy work back when it was hard.  I am now working to find relatives from the 1700's. 

The Doggett family bible refers to an Elizabeth Jackson born in 1784 at Lampeter and raised by her Uncle Admiral John Thomas.  More research shows that she was christened on 07 Apr 1786 at LLANLLWNI, CARMARTHEN, WALES. Her mother was Martha Lloyd and her father was Jno Jack.  I am interested in finding her relationship to Admiral John Thomas.  I assume it is through his wife, Letitia Maria Lloyd, or his mother Sage Lloyd.  John Thomas's father was the rector of Llanllwni and there should be a plaque in St Lukes Llanlwni church referring to his tomb in the churchyard.  I have done the family search website but can not go further back than Martha.  Is John Jack an odd name for this particular area?  Any ideas on next steps?

I am visiting Wales this summer.  I live in the USA but have cousins in the UK and one living in Southern Wales.  We plan to visit the area around Llanlwni and LLandsul as part of the trip.  I would also like to get in contact with anyone with information about Admiral Thomas, the Lloyds of Cardigan and general knowledge of the area between 1750 and 1820.  I have done significant research on Admiral Thomas.  I have almost fully documented his Naval career through logbooks and letters from the British National Archives and the British Maritime Museum.   I would like to focus some effort on his time in Cardigan and Carmarthen after his service.

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Introduction and Help request
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. As this forum has a diverse 'audience', there may well be someone who can help you. Have you considered adding your surnames of interest to the surname listing?
Good luck with your search.
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 January 19 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Best of luck with your research; I think you are right in wondering whether Jack would be an odd surname. It might be an abbreviation for Jackson, Elizabeth's surame.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 January 19 00:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Mike. You seem to have made duplicate posts.
Cowban

Offline MikeTheMean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 January 19 01:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Mike. You seem to have made duplicate posts.

Yes, I put it in the wrong spot and do not know how to delete a post. Sorry. Rookie mistake

Offline MikeTheMean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 January 19 01:37 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. As this forum has a diverse 'audience', there may well be someone who can help you. Have you considered adding your surnames of interest to the surname listing?
Good luck with your search.
Jackie

Yes, how do you do that?

Offline MikeTheMean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 January 19 01:40 GMT (UK) »
Best of luck with your research; I think you are right in wondering whether Jack would be an odd surname. It might be an abbreviation for Jackson, Elizabeth's surame.

She is listed as Lloyd, Lloyd Jackson and Jackson on various records.  But my question was specific to this region around Llanlwni.  Jack or Jackson does not appear to be a common surname in this specific area.  True or false.  Please explain answer.  ;)

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 31 January 19 02:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello again
To add surnames to the listing, if you go to the lower part of this page, to the Tools area - it lists Surname Interests, just click and go to add record. It is an easy process.
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 February 19 23:05 GMT (UK) »
For Admiral John Thomas to be the uncle,in the current interpretation,of Martha,John Thomas would have to have a sister who married a Lloyd.The pedigree in the attached,which seems an invaluable reference,only shows brothers.I don't know whether it was just convention.

https://archive.org/details/somefamilyrecord00thea/page/n129

There is always the possibility that patronymics plays a role where Martha Lloyd is daughter of Lloyd "X".Indeed you will find an interesting example in the records where Hugh Lloyd,of Lloyd Jack,is involved in the conveyance of Llanvechan to the then Captain John Thomas.

Regards
Roger