Author Topic: st annes soho westminster marriage 19 feb 1826  (Read 2080 times)

Offline giblaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
st annes soho westminster marriage 19 feb 1826
« on: Thursday 31 January 19 01:05 GMT (UK) »
hi there I know when this marriage occurred 19/feb/1826 between james Gibson and anne cundell st annes soho is there anybody who has access to this parish record as I am trying to find out the names of the parents of this couple it would be so helpful in my research as I am in Sydney Australia with no direct access I would be most grateful for any information thank you in anticipation regards chris (giblew)  :)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: st annes soho westminster marriage 19 feb 1826
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 January 19 01:47 GMT (UK) »
Mothers names are never shown on English marriage certs and fathers names were only shown from 1.7.1837

They married 1.3.1826  - not 19.2.1826. 
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 January 19 01:50 GMT (UK) »
The actual date looks like 27th of Feb.  The date you have may be from the banns take the week earlier.
No parents are listed, as CaroleW has noted.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 January 19 01:51 GMT (UK) »
Marriage was 1st March - see my addition above
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 January 19 01:59 GMT (UK) »
Marriage was 1st March - see my addition above

I saw an index for both 01 Mar, and 06 Mar, but from the image I'm seeing "twenty (seven?) February.  It is hard to read.  Do you want a snippet to check.... it might very well be my old eyes!

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 January 19 02:03 GMT (UK) »
Aha!  Even though it is just banns, they use the "so and so were married on whatever date", as now I see a second image for 01 Mar.

In case the witness names help, they were J. White and J(s) Davies.

Offline giblaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 January 19 07:05 GMT (UK) »
 :D thank you all for the information I was trying to confirm a link between james and ann(e) in regards to james gibsons son William Ignace Gibson b.8/oct/1826 as on his christening his mother was ann and this is the only ann I can find who married james around the dates that would be suitable as far as I know ann died in oct 1828 and buried 30/oct/1828 st Marylebone two years after her son was born and this marriage in Westminster is the only one I can find if you can think of any other way I maybe how to link this couple to William Ignace Gibson who is my great grandfather thank you once again for your help. chris (giblaw)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 31 January 19 09:11 GMT (UK) »
I am assuming that William Ignace Gibson was the composer that went by Ignace Gibsone (1826 -1897)?

A mini biography of Ignace Gibsone lists James and Ann as his parents, but I have no idea of where they got that info:  https://musicalics.com/en/node/98594

Other sites that Google showed lists Ignace as of Scottish and French heritage.  If I have been tracking James correctly, he is Scottish, so that leaves Ann as possibly French.  Could they have married in Scotland?

Again, if I am chasing the right fellow, James is alone in 1841 census, musician, living in Maidstone, but by 1851, he is with a new wife Elizabeth, and several children, oldest being 17.  I can't find her and the children in 1841 so far.

It seems this James died in 1860, and there is an article on his death, which gives no family mention, but talks a bit about his music.  If you think I'm on the right track, I'll write out the article.

EDIT  Ignore the 1841 census mentioned in this post. Please see Reply #8 by Trish1120 for the correct one.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 January 19 13:11 GMT (UK) »
I have a different 1841 Census I think than you bbart?

1841 Census
St Pancras, Middlesex
James Gibson, 40, Pr0fessor of Pianoforte, born Scotland
Elizabeth Gibson, 30, not born in County
WILLIAM Gibson, 15****
Robert Gibson, 8
Thomas Gibson, 6
James Gibson, 4
Barbara Shepherd, 30, Laundress
Henry Shepherd, 6
Margaret Witteman, 25, Dressmaker
Esther Ashbournne, 35, Servant

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)