Author Topic: Adoption Records  (Read 1858 times)

Offline JimmyJazz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adoption Records
« on: Thursday 31 January 19 02:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I am new to the group and am fascinated by what I have found in a short time, however I have hit a dead end.

Hopefully someone can help with adoption records, birth parents, ethnicity etc.

My Great Grandmother, Maude (or Maude) Elizabeth Dutton. Born Dutton, adopted as Goldston (by George Goldston & Jane Robertson) and married William John Bentick. I have her birth date 8th March 1886, probably in NSW near Bourke Australia. She passed away 2nd Aug 1978.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards James

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption Records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 January 19 07:11 GMT (UK) »
Not sure about Australia, but in England & Wales formal legal adoption didn't commence until 1926 ;D

Before then, most adoptions were informal, and very few legal documents exist.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 January 19 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Can you list all the information on the marriage certificate please -

BDM NSW marriage
9070/1911 GOLDSON Maud E D  marr.  BENTICK William J  @  COBAR

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 January 19 09:26 GMT (UK) »
I've asked a moderator to move this to an Australian board.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 January 19 10:17 GMT (UK) »
NSW formal adoptions also did not commence until the 1920s.

May I ask James if he has the NSW birth certificate for his Great Gran ...  and if so,  what is recorded there for the exact  place of birth  (xyz Run,  xyz Pastoral Lease, etc etc etc) ...  I have a depth of detail for much of the mid to late 19th century for the Western division of NSW ... including the 13 volumes on a CD for that huge area of NSW along the Darling River, prepared by the Bourke & District historical society.

I am not at home at present, won't have access to the CD for several weeks,  but I am at present with an elderly family member whose birth was pre WWI, and registered at Bourke... and whose parents were also born and raised along the Darling.  My rellie has the hardcopy version of those 13 volumes, stored away here .... 

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline JimmyJazz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 February 19 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone, i'll dig for some more information that hopefully helps.

JM, absolutely fascinated to learn more about family from that area. There's a long list of relatives dating back to early 1800's, along the Darling and serounds. I look forward to watching the DVD's, given the opportununity.

I have been told that Maud was of half Aboriginal decent, coming from a large family of up to 12 children and was willing given away, due to her Mother struggling to care for her (pre-stolen gen).

Other info i've found include,

Adoption parents spelt Goldson (not Goldston), as previously stated.

Some sights suggest she was born in Cobar 1895. She is burried in Walgett NSW.

It looks like William and Maud were married in Cobar 1911, can't find marraige or Birth certificate yet, but I will do more searching.

Thank you :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 February 19 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jimmy,

:)  :) I have the CD,  I made NO mention of any DVD.    Here is the National Library of Australia's catalogue info about the CD. 
https://trove.nla.gov.au/work/19171842?selectedversion=NBD4765178
 :)  :) Here is a webpage about the CD http://www.visitbourke.com.au/merchandise/bourke-historical-collection#.XFOWFlUzapo  -  ten years of volunteer efforts resulted in the 13 volumes of hardcopy being re-typed up (into word document etc), converted to pdf and etc and the CD is keyword searchable.  :D  :D  I don't know if there is any current stock, here is a contact email thingy  :D http://www.visitbourke.com.au/contact

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline JimmyJazz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 February 19 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Haha, DVD would have suited my attention spam lol... I will look into it JM, very grateful for the info, thanks heaps.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 February 19 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Jimmy, 

You have modified your post after I had replied to it, and I see you have removed your comments about watching the DVD.   Consequently, my reply to that post is no longer making good sense to anyone who is currently reading it.  That makes for confusion upon confusion,  and causes difficulty in helping to respond to enquiries. 

JM.

Thank you everyone, i'll dig for some more information that hopefully helps.

JM, absolutely fascinated to learn more about family from that area. There's a long list of relatives dating back to early 1800's, along the Darling and serounds.

I have been told that Maud was of half Aboriginal decent, coming from a large family of up to 12 children and was willing given away, due to her Mother struggling to care for her (pre-stolen gen).

Other info i've found include,

Adoption parents spelt Goldson (not Goldston), as previously stated.

Some sights suggest she was born in Cobar 1895. She is burried in Walgett NSW.

It looks like William and Maud were married in Cobar 1911, can't find marraige or Birth certificate yet, but I will do more searching.

Thank you :)