Author Topic: Any experts of the Kirkandrews on Esk area that can advise me on a baptism?  (Read 1545 times)

Offline lanercost

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Any experts of the Kirkandrews on Esk area that can advise me on a baptism?
« on: Thursday 31 January 19 04:56 GMT (UK) »
William Johnston(e) and Ann Corrie were married in Kirkandrews on Esk in 1818. She were also born here but William from Scotland, likely in Canonbie.

William, Ann and their two unmarried children would all be buried in Kirkandrews as well, but no baptisms for any of their children here:

George born Oct 1819, buried Kirkandrews 15 Dec 1819 (aged 7 weeks)
Ann: born abt. 1821, buried Kirkandrews 1846
Violet: born abt. 1823
Frances: born abt. 1825
Elizabeth: born abt. 1827

Residence remained Kirkandrews all while the children grew up and parents passed away. Son George's burial pinpoints his birth to the month but still no baptism. I've looked all over ScotlandsPeople for a Scottish baptism but nothing. Have also looked all over Arthuret and other CofE churches nearby, looking at the images from my local family history centre.

Can anyone advise where I might find these baptisms?

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Any experts of the Kirkandrews on Esk area that can advise me on a baptism?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 January 19 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Not my area but
George Johnston s of William and Ann bapt at Carlisle 10.10.1819
Can't see the rest of the children though

Ciderdrinker

Offline lanercost

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 January 19 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Not my area but
George Johnston s of William and Ann bapt at Carlisle 10.10.1819
Can't see the rest of the children though

Ciderdrinker

Thanks for looking and although the record does look promising, I've checked this record and the residence and occupation are both very different so I've been able to rule it out.

Offline robbiesmum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 January 19 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I haven't checked all these baptisms but at least three of them (Ann, Violet and Fanny) were baptised at the Scotch Church in Longtown, and the baptisms and birthdates were recorded there.

Ann, first daughter, b 1820
Violet, second daughter,b 1823
Fanny, third daughter, b 1825

There is a transcript by Mike Jackson at the RO in Carlisle, or I believe the originals are held in Edinburgh.
there is also a gravestone at Kirkandrews on Esk which I believe is theirs - for a William and Ann Johnstone of Shadwell Crook and their children, I can give you the details if you haven't seen them?
best wishes
robbiesmum

Offline lanercost

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 February 19 06:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I haven't checked all these baptisms but at least three of them (Ann, Violet and Fanny) were baptised at the Scotch Church in Longtown, and the baptisms and birthdates were recorded there.

Ann, first daughter, b 1820
Violet, second daughter,b 1823
Fanny, third daughter, b 1825

There is a transcript by Mike Jackson at the RO in Carlisle, or I believe the originals are held in Edinburgh.
there is also a gravestone at Kirkandrews on Esk which I believe is theirs - for a William and Ann Johnstone of Shadwell Crook and their children, I can give you the details if you haven't seen them?
best wishes
robbiesmum

Hi robbiesmum! I appreciate that so much! Mind has been blown.. I've just now had a look to read about this church and I see these baptisms are online on FamilySearch! It seems those baptised don't have their surnames entered (only their father's surname) so I never found these because I would always enter the subject's surname which comes up with nothing (so silly). But you've helped me find them and I know you've helped me in the past as well, thank you :)

I have the details for the headstone and I can remember you telling me how it were laying face down but you were still able to raise it enough to get the details. You're a champ :)

Offline robbiesmum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 February 19 07:57 GMT (UK) »
its a really useful register, as it names both parents and their parish of birth, so is very helpful in sorting out your cross border relatives
Don't know why it doesn't have the surnames when searching on familysearch, makes searching much more complicated!
cheers
robbiesmum