Author Topic: date my photo please Wattle Flat NSW Australia  (Read 1994 times)

Offline love the past

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
date my photo please Wattle Flat NSW Australia
« on: Thursday 31 January 19 06:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, can you tell me approx. when this photo was taken, also does anyone know what the sashes represent. The photo is taken outside a church
Tunks, Cross, Lyons, Ahearn, Hughes, Smith, Ealey Stevens

Offline love the past

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: date my photo please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 January 19 10:12 GMT (UK) »
I just realized I left a lot of info out. This photo was taken in Wattle Flat NSW Australia. Wattle Flat is an old gold mining town from the 1800's. The church where the photo was taken is no longer in use, I think it was an Anglican church. I am intrigued by the sashes the people are wearing and would love to know what they are for.
Cheers Kristin

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: date my photo please Wattle Flat NSW Australia
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 February 19 13:04 GMT (UK) »
I would say this was taken around 1890s or early 1900s judging by the sleeves on the dress of the lady on the right.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline love the past

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 February 19 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Caroline

Offline russell12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 February 19 23:17 GMT (UK) »
The picture dates to around 1891-1893;

The 'dinner plate' sized hat sometimes called a 'platter hat', worn flatly a top the head is typical of the 1890s (though hat styles didn't change too radically during this decade);

The fashion plate in comparison is from 1895 - however like I said - hat styles didn't change all too much during the 1890s and hence can be very misleading in finding the exact date to a picture.

The Fashion Plate is from 'Le Moniteur de la Mode' and dated 1891. The early 1890s favoured hats with a wider brim at the front; in some ways it is a similar shape to a spoon bonnet - just laid flat on the head!

The bodice on the right is an extant example dated to around 1891-1893. The collar comes in at the front in a almost 'v' split swoop/at an angle - which you can just about see in the photo; in comparison to the early Edwardian bodices which favoured a full circle collar which closed at the back.

Her sleeves are also a tell-tale sign;

The high, gathered sleeve cap is stylistic of the early 1890s...

On the right is an extant 1891 dress; I have circled on the right ladys shoulder where you can just about see the same pleating.

The lady on the left has a button up plastron; a very common feature seen in Early 1890s bodices and follows on from the late 1880s fashion.

Again you can see the similarity in the collars, which are split in the front rather then button up at the back like later 1890s bodices.

Unfortunately I cannot help with the sashes; a few of the men I believe are wearing 'stoles' (you can just about see a passementerie tassel trim), but since I'm not religious I don't know the significance of them... I'll do some more digging for you.

Hope this helps.

Offline love the past

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 February 19 01:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Russell, that is awesome info
cheers Kristin

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 February 19 06:24 GMT (UK) »
Well I am going to stick my need out say that the men seem to be wearing stoles of a Lodge perhaps?  Perhaps Orange lodge. Orange lodge may pose outside a Presbyterian church or poss Anglican? Druids would not I think pose outside a church as they are non religious.
Does the RC Church have lodges?

The girls seem to be wearing the white dresses and sashes like current day Irish dancers wear.

At first I thought it might be an Anglican confirmation day as some of the girls are of an age 11-13 when this might have taken place. Now looking at the little girl on the top right of the back row I am not so sure.   She is wearing the little first Communion type gowns with a wee veil  that  were more common in RC Church.  Or perhaps she is having a late christening?

Then when you bring mourning clothes into it.

Would the lady in the black be in mourning and therefore her sash would be darker than  the others?

Or is it a group of Sunday school children & teachers with their Orange Lodge fathers?

Offline love the past

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 February 19 06:51 GMT (UK) »
Well sahnreagh you have thrown the cat among the pidgeons LOL. I know that masonic lodges allegedly don't allow catholics, this is definitely an anglican church they are standing in front of.
What puzzles me is that men women and children are all wearing sashes, and a couple of the children are wearing the sashes in an opposite direction, which maybe just an oversight or there is a reason for them to be different.hmmmmm
Cheers Kristin

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 February 19 09:04 GMT (UK) »
The young girls in the front appear to be holding tambourines.

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex