Author Topic: Thomas Capie 1818  (Read 1167 times)

Offline RodEast

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Capie 1818
« on: Thursday 31 January 19 10:30 GMT (UK) »
I am seeking any information regarding Thomas Capie born circa 1818.  The only information I have been able to find on Scotlandspeople  is that marriage banns  were booked for proclamation on 2 December 1838  in Lesmahagow and his wife name was Marion Greenshields and that they lived in Lesmahagow between 1841 and 1881.  Any information regarding his marriage, birth and ancestors would be appreciated.
RodEast

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Capie 1818
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 January 19 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I've not got anything to back this up but I'd go for parents John Brodie and Margaret.
1841 Abbey Green Lesmahagow
John 70 flesher
Margaret 60
Lemual/Samuel 25 wright

If you look at Thomas and Marion's children ,the eldest son seems to be named after her father Robert and then there are sons John and Samuel.
Plus John in 1841 and Thomas are both fleshers.

I can't see any christenings for John and Margaret's children,but that would be my guess.

Ciderdrinker

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 January 19 11:19 GMT (UK) »
I cant find a Baptism/Birth for Thomas but there must be a connection to Samuel Capie born c 1816 Lesmahagow.
Thomas names a Son Samuel and Samuel/Thomas both name a Daug Margaret Pate Capie.

Samuel married 1842 and died 1849 (from Familysearch.Org)

This appears to be him in 1841 in Lesmahagow;
Abbey Green, Lesmahagow
John Capie, 70, Flesher
Margarete Capie, 60
Lemuel*** Capie, 25, Wright

Looks for a marriage of John/Margaret with little luck with on line free resources. My gut tells me she is probably nee Pate :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 January 19 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Great minds think alike Ciderdrinker :)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 January 19 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Margaret is still alive in 1851 Census born c 1779 Lesmahagw, Lanark (as transcribed on Anc)

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 January 19 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone looked at Freecen?

There are quite a few people named Capie in Lesmahagw at 1841, spread out over a number of households.

John Capie as mentioned above, is the eldest at age 70.

All the others are more than 30yrs his junior.
Families of
43yr old James Capie: Flesher
41yr old William Capie : Flesher

It's a guess but it looks like the Lesmahagow Capies cover at least 3 generations of one family

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 January 19 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Just giving link to other post that mentions Thomas 
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=807304.0

I did wonder on that post whether he was in fact baptised in Gosport  :-\   (Birth places are not always right )
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RodEast

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 31 January 19 12:55 GMT (UK) »
I checked out the Gosport Connection and could not find a link to Scotland.  However I did find a mass christening of Margaret, Samuel, Susan and Marion Capie on 7th Nov 1852 in Lesmahagow from Scotlandspeople which also stating that Thomas was deceased (1851-1852).
If you are right about Margaret Pate there is a baptism in Lesmahago 31 dec 1780 parents George Pate and Janet Smith but I can't see anything for John
Rod East

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 January 19 13:07 GMT (UK) »
There is a death on SP of Margaret Pate or Capie in Lesmahagow in 1857. Her mother's maiden surname was Porteous. You can download a copy of the certificate from www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk at modest cost.

The 1841 census lists at Abbeygreen, Lesmahagow John Capie, 70, flesher; Margaret Capie, 60; and Samuel Capie, 25. That's from the FreeCEN transcription, so it would be advisable to check the original on SP to see if John is a mistranscription or error and should read Thomas.  By 1851 there is only Margaret Capie, widow, 72, washerwoman, born Lesmagahow in that household. However there are households in Lesmahagow headed by Thomas Capie, 33 and by John Capie, 48 and William Capie, 51. Also a widowed Elisabeth Capie, 31. Have a look at it for yourself at https://freecen1.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.