Author Topic: Missing from 1861 census?  (Read 696 times)

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Missing from 1861 census?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 31 January 19 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Ohh! Nice find. Id lost John and Sarah altogether at 1851.
Langley, Broughton, Taylor, Broad, Cooper, Owen, Bennion, Yorke, Knox, Norcup, Holland, Brookes, White, Davies, Huntbach, Bowler, Barnett.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 31 January 19 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Tom,
There are a couple of Ralphs in 1851. The one you found may not be yours perhaps.
He may not be the one I found either but that one does have a William with him. :-\
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 31 January 19 19:13 GMT (UK) »
The Ralph you found is definitely correct as he is listed as deaf, which I know mine was.

Strange how FindMyPast has no trace of them.

Thanks for the help
Langley, Broughton, Taylor, Broad, Cooper, Owen, Bennion, Yorke, Knox, Norcup, Holland, Brookes, White, Davies, Huntbach, Bowler, Barnett.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 31 January 19 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Ellen may have been shown with a birthplace of Longton.

An Ellen Dale aged 33, with husband Thomas and 2 daughters is living in Longton, Stoke on Trent. Her birthplace of Longton has been 'dittoed' under several others born in Longton. Could be your Ellen.

The two daughters here, Fanny and Ann may be mmn Butler - Frances and Ann  :-\ Stoke on Trent

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 31 January 19 19:25 GMT (UK) »
I cant find Ann's death. There's one in 1868 Leek aged 71, but thats a bit too old. I had her baptised in 1802 to John and Sarah. Johns will confirms his son in law as Raph.
Anns age in the census is all over 35 in 1841, 40 in 1851 and 61 in 1861.

Her husband was buried in Leek.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 31 January 19 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Heywood -- I think you are correct -- I have come to the same result. So the Ellen shown with a birthplace of Longton -- isn't the correct Ellen Dale (nee Hollinshead). Dare I say 'Shucks!

There is a William Dale b 1849 with mother's maiden name of Hollinshead - this will be who you mentioned, Tom. Interestingly there is also a Henry Dale in 1852 b in Congleton Reg Dist with mother's maiden name Hollinshead.
West Yorks; ---- Illingworth, Marshall, Muffit/Muffett/Murfitt, Barber, Sanderson, Townend, Barraclough, Lister -- and lots more. Locations mainly in Birstall parish - Hartshead-- Drighlington --Adwalton --Mirfield - Heckmondwike --Kippax - Sherburn in Elmet.

Ireland ------Cleary, Whelan - Nenagh.
Dowling - Monasterevin
Daly - Westmeath

Lancashire ---- Smith from Alston , Johnson and Fairclough---- Tarleton and loads more from Tarleton and Accrington areas.

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 31 January 19 19:31 GMT (UK) »
It was John Dale who married Ellen not Thomas! I must have misread the transcription.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 31 January 19 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Think I'm trying to look for too many different people here and getting confused (doesn't take much!).

Going back to Ann the mother -- if in 1841 she was shown as 35 - then she was aged 35 to 39 - hence potential birth year between 1802 and 1806.

In 1851 she is 40 - hence potential birth year of 1811 (this age could be 48 as there is an enumerator's line going through the middle) -- if it is 48 - gives a potential birth year of 1803.

In 1861 - the Ann with a son Thomas and a daughter Hannah (both of the correct approx age) - is aged 61 (birth year of approx 1800). In addition she has a grandson William Dale living with her, aged 11 - again the correct age -- so I suspect that is your Ann - so she didn't die in 1856.

Hence Thomas and Hannah are living with their mother in 1861.

She also has 2 other grandchildren with her, whose surname -- I suspect -- is possibly meant to be Hollinshead and has been shortened considerably.

There is a Moses Hollinshead aged 70 living next door -- possible brother of Ralph/Raphael maybe?
West Yorks; ---- Illingworth, Marshall, Muffit/Muffett/Murfitt, Barber, Sanderson, Townend, Barraclough, Lister -- and lots more. Locations mainly in Birstall parish - Hartshead-- Drighlington --Adwalton --Mirfield - Heckmondwike --Kippax - Sherburn in Elmet.

Ireland ------Cleary, Whelan - Nenagh.
Dowling - Monasterevin
Daly - Westmeath

Lancashire ---- Smith from Alston , Johnson and Fairclough---- Tarleton and loads more from Tarleton and Accrington areas.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 31 January 19 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pennines,
I am getting confused- not so much confused but too many people  ;)

There is a possible death for Ellen Dale 3e yrs , 1859 Congleton

1861 1945/17/27
James Henry Hollinshead b 1857 Leek - no mmn
George Henry b 1860 no mmn
With Ann, Thomas and Hannah as mentioned before