Author Topic: Embezzlement and transportation - right person?  (Read 762 times)

Offline valeriet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Embezzlement and transportation - right person?
« on: Thursday 31 January 19 23:46 GMT (UK) »
I have a puzzle with my 3rd great grandfather William Field Fidler. I have his birthdate as abt 1791 and death 1839. Then there was this record of embezzlement which other ancestry members have attached to him. https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?div=t18191027-96 BUT....it says that he was sentenced to 14 years transportation which would mean he wasn't around when his children were conceived - which I suppose is possible, even with his name on their records. But it would also mean that he got married and went to court a few months later and that he sadly only had 6 years after coming home before he died. I'm trying to work out if he is the same person or not. I don't know much about transportation, where they would have been sent and whether they would have necessarily come back afterwards....

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Embezzlement and transportation - right person?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 January 19 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Suggest you look at the crimInal records for him on FindMyPast. It does not look as though he was transported,"retribution" was made?,sentence reduced to 7 years and he was pardoned in 1825.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 February 19 02:57 GMT (UK) »
The combination of the names William Field and Fidler don't sound too common. As far as you know is this your ancestors full name? I take it you are checking to see if the online trees are correct in convicting and transporting your William?

Australia might be a good place to start the search.

It is unusual, though not impossible, for someone who was transported to return home after finishing their sentence. Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe they were required to pay their own fare home.

As William said, FindMyPast is fairly good with convict records so it is worth checking there. I know some of the Australian records name family members and wives left behind which would help you confirm if this is your William. I don't have a subscription or I would have a look for you.

Do you know what happened to his wife and children? If you think he returned, did he re-unite with his family? It sounds like his wife "moved on" if she was having children with someone else.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 February 19 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Suggest you look at the crimInal records for him on FindMyPast. It does not look as though he was transported,"retribution" was made?,sentence reduced to 7 years and he was pardoned in 1825.

William

What Millmoor says, if he only served 7 years then went home how does this fit in with the births of his children bearing in mind also that the ages in the census can be up to 5 years out sometimes.
Serving 7 years instead of 14 years did happen.
People did go back to England to once they were freemen.
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 February 19 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Were his children born in Middlesex (around London) or Shropshire?

There is another William Fiddler convict who was sentenced in Salop, Shropshire

http://members.iinet.net.au/~perthdps/convicts/con-wa7.html

Amended this one is far to young
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline valeriet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 February 19 08:26 GMT (UK) »

William

I have only got a membership with ancestry so can't look at the information on Findmypast as yet...I guess I'd have to get the full membership to see it - might be worth it I guess if there's this kind oif extra information that didn't show up on Ancestry. The date of a 1825 release makes sense as his first child was born in 1826 :) Thank you!

Offline valeriet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 February 19 08:30 GMT (UK) »
The combination of the names William Field and Fidler don't sound too common. As far as you know is this your ancestors full name? I take it you are checking to see if the online trees are correct in convicting and transporting your William?

Australia might be a good place to start the search.

It is unusual, though not impossible, for someone who was transported to return home after finishing their sentence. Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe they were required to pay their own fare home.

As William said, FindMyPast is fairly good with convict records so it is worth checking there. I know some of the Australian records name family members and wives left behind which would help you confirm if this is your William. I don't have a subscription or I would have a look for you.

Do you know what happened to his wife and children? If you think he returned, did he re-unite with his family? It sounds like his wife "moved on" if she was having children with someone else.

It all looks correct it was just the business of the children being born when he wasn't supposedly with his wife but the release date William suggested fits in perfectly with his children's dates of birth. If he hadn't been released from prison then I wouldn't exist - thank God for him being shown some mercy! :D

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 February 19 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Having looked at this again I think  the scenario is this. The initial sentence was reduced to seven years. He was then on a prison hulk (ship) called the Retribution.He  is recorded  on a list made by the captain of the hulk, having served 5 years 2 years, as one of sixteen men selected,as a result of good conduct,  "as fit objects for Royal Mercy". He was pardoned 7 Feb 1825.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 February 19 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at the prison hulk records on ancestry- he is recorded as both William and Wm Fidler, originally on a prison hulk called Bellerophon  and then the Retribution.

William