Author Topic: Marriage licence (1767) lookup if possible  (Read 948 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage licence (1767) lookup if possible
« on: Friday 01 February 19 12:40 GMT (UK) »
If anyone is going to the Northants archives I would like to ask if they would mind doing a look up for the marriage licence for the following marriage.

James Fisher of this parish (Kingscliffe), tanner, and Catherine Falkner of the parish of Lyddington (Liddington) in the county of Rutland, spinster, were married in this church (Kingscliffe) by LICENCE this ninth day of June 1767.

I am interesting in the licence and all and any information it holds as there may be additional details than are contained on the parish register of the marriage or on the Northants marriage CD that I have.

I have looked at the marriage licences for Leicestershire on Findmypast in case the licence was issued there as sometimes happened with people from Rutland but there was nothing there. Consequently I think the licence was issued in Northamptonshire which would tie in with the marriage happening there.

I have tried to find out where else the Northants licences may be held to no avail. I could not locate them on the familysearch catalogue which is strange as I thought they were there. Also I have not been able to find this particular licence in the records the Society of Genealogists have, but then they are not complete so that is not unduly worrying. Marriage licences for Northants are not on Findmypast or Ancestry. If anyone knows where else the Northants licences may be accessed I would be grateful for that information.

Thank you.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage licence (1767) lookup if possible
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 February 19 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I found a image of the licence at Ancestry "Northamptonshire, England, Church of England Marriages, 1754-1912", Catherine's surname idexed as FALKNOR.

The shows the same as your info. but looking at the other writing I think James could be a Turner instead of a Tanner.

They were married "by me Thos HOWARD, Rector of Kings Cliffe"

James FISHER has signed his name but there is the mark of Catherine FALKNER.

In the presence of    William FALKNER & William REDHEAD    ?Tuner  ? Juner   ???  (see below)

William REDHEAD is a witness for many of the marriages in these images.  I think he might be a church warden, curate or someone who worked at the chuch etc. who was convenient to use as a witness .

Regards,
Daisy

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 February 19 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I have seen that record on Ancestry, it is not a copy of the licence but a copy of the banns\marriage. That is where I became aware the marriage was by licence and hence why I am trying to find a copy of the licence. I am hoping it will have additional information as they sometimes do.

Yes I had first asked myself if James was a turner but could not fit that in with the area and thought it looked more like tanner. To be honest I could not be certain about either but erred on the side of tanner.

Yes Catherine's name looks like Falknor on that one record but more usually its Falkner so I standardised it. That's the problem with there being several versions around, which one do you use.

Yes I wondered about William Redhead and his profession but flipping through the pages of the register it is sometimes written more clearly and definitely looks like Tuner. I guess there could have been enough work if he was tuning things like church organs or pianos etc. I agree I think he also worked for the church in some capacity as if the burial in 1774 that I found is him then he is described as William Redhead, Clark (sic).

So I am hoping the licence has survived and has extra details on it.

David
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Online PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 February 19 14:27 GMT (UK) »
The licenses are held in the Northants RO, and are only available there. There's a card index.

They haven't all survived, unfortunately!

William Redhead could be Juner, short for Junior, and James's occupation looks like Turner to me - the "r" in the middle looks more like the "r" on the end than like the "n".

I'm not planning on going up at the moment (usually wait until I have a paid commission  :) ) or I'd have a look!
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 February 19 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Yes I have seen the licences at Northants archives several years ago but then didn't have reason to search them.

I am more inclined to think William Redhead's description is Tuner rather than Juner (junior) but either way it doesn't matter as I am not following him, but its good to see what other think.

Further to your reply I have looked at the record again and agree with you (and Daisy) that James' occupation is Turner.

Thank you.

I shall continue to look for the licence.

David

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 February 19 18:25 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

You might of already seen these but just in case, possibly your James,

Northamptonshire Militia Lists 1771

James FISHER
Year:  1771
Hundred:  Willybrook
County:  Northamptonshire
Place:  Cliffe Regis [kings Cliffe]

William REDHEAD
Year:  1771
Hundred:  Willybrook
County:  Northamptonshire
Place:  Cliffe Regis [kings Cliffe]

So it looks like William might also have been a Turner.

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 February 19 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Daisy

No I had not seen those militia lists before so that will be useful following James up (because I am not sure I have the correct birth for him). It might also help explain why James and Catherine disappear after they have had several children.

David