Author Topic: British Newspaper Archive  (Read 3179 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: British Newspaper Archive
« Reply #27 on: Friday 08 February 19 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Have you found any other good information that has put 'flesh' onto your tree?

Yes. However the most interesting stuff  I've found concerns:
One person who was a trades union activist & Chartist at a time when such people risked finding themselves on the wrong side of the law. He was mentioned in evidence in 2 trials. Shortly before the second trial a man who may have been him was a special representative to the Peoples' Parliament in Manchester. Karl Marx sent a message to the Parliament.
A family of father and 5 sons who had various business dealings. (A 6th son died, aged 21 after an accident - there was a detailed account.) One son and his brother-in-law were sued by an architect, losing the case and their homes. The sequel was a notice in the newspaper, placed by the architect, inviting prospective purchasers to contact my relative to arrange a viewing of the houses.  A grandson of this family was a clergyman. I "lost" him as a young man from 1841 census and eventually located him at Maynooth seminary by his name among a list of prizewinning students in an Irish newspaper. He ascended the ecclesiastical ladder, organised the building of churches and composed liturgical music. His name was mentioned many times in secular and religious press, once because he was a witness in a libel case between 2 architects.
I had advantages: neither surname was common in the district where the people lived; "Preston Chronicle" and the Manchester papers reported some of the stories in detail; Irish papers reported religious news, some of it from England.
Cowban

Offline cbcarolyn

• RootsChat Member
  • Carolyn
    • View Profile
Re: British Newspaper Archive
« Reply #28 on: Friday 08 February 19 19:59 GMT (UK) »
sounds like the archive has served you well, and helped find lost ones.  I will keep looking, the editions are coming thick and fast now, so sure there will be something soon.
Lugg/Freeman/Caddy- Cornwall
Dayman/Hobbs - Devon
Brett/Clark/Hicks - Middx/Essex/London
Miles - Northampton
Woodruff/Proctor/Worth - Midlands/NE/Wales

http://www.familytree.chatandthat.co.uk/