Author Topic: John Bringhurst, 1655-1699, Quaker Printer - England  (Read 79 times)

Offline JamesBond

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Bringhurst, 1655-1699, Quaker Printer - England
« on: Saturday 02 February 19 08:39 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find a website of things or one thing he printed for George Fox. I know of one thing he printed, and its called the George Fox Primer, but I cant find it online to look at it. John Bringhurst is an ancestor of mine & I'm interested in knowing & seeing what kinds of things he printed for the Society of Friends. Also what meeting he was a member of. How can I find all this out, where can I find the literature & a mention of his membership?

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Bringhurst, 1655-1699, Quaker Printer - England
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 February 19 11:40 GMT (UK) »
He's mentioned in an article on Quaker printers at http://journals.sas.ac.uk/fhs/article/download/4372/4324

(This appears to be Part ii - Part i is at http://journals.sas.ac.uk/fhs/article/viewFile/4352/4304)

I've also found a mention of him at the Spitalfields Meeting. Searching for him in non-conformist registers at Ancestry or The Genealogist should bring up more references. Ancestry also have a City of London Freedom Admission showing an apprenticeship in 1669 and naming his father as Thomas, a surgeon.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline JamesBond

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Bringhurst, 1655-1699, Quaker Printer - England
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 February 19 12:35 GMT (UK) »
That sounds like him. I know his father was Thomas, sounds like a match. Thanks Arthurk. I'll take a look at those links.