Author Topic: Too many names for the vicar  (Read 841 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST (Speciality - South Uist, Inverness)
    • View Profile
Re: Too many names for the vicar
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps not quite to the point but : How do all those people who give their poor son the names of an entire football team manage?

My daughter has a relative on her paternal side who has a child named after the whole of Glasgow Rangers Football Team (Scotland)!

I had to smile at the pun 'manage'  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie, MacDonald, MacInnes, MacIntyre, MacKinnon, Steele, Walker

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, MacKinnon, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 03:46 GMT (UK) »
Interesting note from the officiating vicar. I've seen entries from titled folk who give their children multiple names, with not a word of complaint from the minister. Perhaps he thought the parents were getting above their station in life.
As for the Clergy Database, while it is a useful tool, it is riddled with errors and omissions. At least it is for the ancestors I've looked up.  ::)
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Carrington, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Bentham, Holloway, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Yorks, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 04:33 GMT (UK) »
Interesting note from the officiating vicar. I've seen entries from titled folk who give their children multiple names, with not a word of complaint from the minister. Perhaps he thought the parents were getting above their station in life.
Choice of Napoleon as first name on the list probably caused him to purse his lips or sniff disapprovingly. Parents either had republican or pro-French feelings.