Author Topic: Too many names for the vicar  (Read 2154 times)

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
Re: Too many names for the vicar
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 February 19 01:10 GMT (UK) »
I don’t know about the + but I think it might say Xstian names.

Think you are right Heywood.    :)

Wiggy
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 February 19 01:20 GMT (UK) »
Yes i agree it’s a + then X written two Cs back to back eg )(stian.    NO idea what the other word is though. Except that it does appear to start with a Q

Have now got completely sidetracked by him...

James RUSSELL’s partnership with Godfrey Bingley WADSWORTH (surgeons Broad Street, Golden Square was dissolved 1 July 1843.  He’s at the Broad street address at the baptism and also in newspapers in the 1830s

1841 he’s 45 with an assumed wife a Hannah age 30
 James was born Ireland
 O children

1851 20 Grove End Road, Marylebone he is a retired Surgeon age 55  Born Ireland
Hannah and her two sisters and a niece.

So it would seem Sarah Inch Ender and Napoleon of the absurd number of names both died? But I cannot see the burials so far.

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 February 19 18:49 GMT (UK) »
This is a quote from arthurk's post: "The clergy are also a bit puzzling. From looking at the whole page at FindMyPast (it's St James, Westminster) and the Clergy Database, they appear to be Peter Felix and Gerrard Thomas Andrewes (initials GTH in this note), yet there's no record in the Clergy Database that either of them was appointed to St James".
[/quote]

CofE clergy can perform marriages in churches other than 'their own', so no mystery there!

Melbell

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 03 February 19 19:03 GMT (UK) »
"... there's no record in the Clergy Database that either of them was appointed to St James".

CofE clergy can perform marriages in churches other than 'their own', so no mystery there!

Except that this wasn't just a one-off - there were lots of entries signed by one or other of them, suggesting a longer-term association with the church. Moreover, the note about the multiplicity of names has the air of having been written by someone who is responsible for the church and its registers, rather than a visiting cleric.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 03 February 19 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Gerrard Thomas Andrewes married at St James in 1819.

I am not familiar with the Clergy database but there are a few references to him here unless it is his father, perhaps?

http://db.theclergydatabase.org.uk/jsp/persons/DisplayCcePerson.jsp?PersonID=1548

He is living in the parish in 1841.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 03 February 19 19:24 GMT (UK) »
I think that must be his father or a relative in the database (not the marriage or 1841j

https://www.grosvenorprints.com/stock_detail.php?ref=16374
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 03 February 19 19:39 GMT (UK) »
I am not familiar with the Clergy database but there are a few references to him here unless it is his father, perhaps?

http://db.theclergydatabase.org.uk/jsp/persons/DisplayCcePerson.jsp?PersonID=1548

Yes - the one listed as just Gerrard Andrewes, who was Rector of St James, died in 1825, so can't have been doing baptisms in 1826.

I wonder - maybe as his father was getting old, GTA might have helped out (while holding appointments and living off tithes etc elsewhere), and even after a new rector had been appointed (John Giffard Ward, 24 Jun 1825), he carried on doing that. And maybe Peter Felix was doing the same kind of thing - London life must have been so much more agreeable than dealing with ag labs and other ordinary people out in the sticks.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 04 February 19 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps not quite to the point but : How do all those people who give their poor son the names of an entire football team manage?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 00:27 GMT (UK) »
So it would seem Sarah Inch Ender and Napoleon of the absurd number of names both died? But I cannot see the burials so far.
Perhaps Napoleon James Russell Frederick met Wellington Blucher Ainscough who was baptised on 7th July 1814 at St. Leonard, Walton-le-Dale, Lancashire and young Napoleon J. R. F., being outnumbered in the famous names department, came off worse in the encounter. I expect they met at a well-known railway station in London.
Cowban