Author Topic: Andrew Lyster Graham b1928  (Read 1205 times)

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew Lyster Graham b1928
« on: Saturday 02 February 19 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have information on Andrew Lyster Graham born 1928 in Belfast; died 2000. Andrew's mother may have been a Robinson.

I am trying to find out if he was a nephew of my grandfather's cousin Alexander Lyster Graham (known as Lester) who was born 8 May 1899, son of William Lynn Graham and Issamenia Quigley.

I don't think Alexander Lyster Graham married so if Andrew Lyster Graham does belong in my family then he is probably the son of Lester's brother William.

Cheers

Linda

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Lyster Graham b1928
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 February 19 18:09 GMT (UK) »
 i didnt usehttps://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/
 useing everythingelse i could use quickly including unsuccessful searches of belfast burialsat belfast city website but surely some must be buried there
Does anyone have information on Andrew Lyster Graham born 1928 in Belfast; died 2000. Andrew's mother may have been a Robinson.

I am trying to find out if he was a nephew of my grandfather's cousin
William Lynn Graham and Issamenia Quigley.
 children
Alexander Lyster Graham (known as Lester) who was born 8 May 1899, son of William Lynn Graham and Issamenia Quigley. I don't think Alexander Lyster Graham married so if Andrew Lyster Graham does belong in my family then he is probably the son of Lester's brother William
William
Andrew Lyster Graham born 1928 in Belfast; died 2000. Andrew's mother may have been a Robinson

you need to acguire  the full birth certificate for Andrew Lyster Graham born 1928 in Belfast can you ?

I suspect one of the below Archibald, Hugh, James or John to be the father of William Lynn Graham b 1860s in Antrim Town
Griffiths antrim town 1862 griffiths http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index
GRAHAM   ARCHIBALD   ANTRIM   ANTRIM FERGUSON'S-ENTRY map ref 96 1 
GRAHAM   HUGH      ANTRIM   ANTRIM FERGUSON'S-ENTRY  map ref 96 8 GRAHAM   JAMES      ANTRIM   ANTRIM NEW PARK map ref 2 a    
GRAHAM   JOHN      ANTRIM   ANTRIM HUNGRY HALL map ref 2 b
GRAHAM   JOHN      ANTRIM   ANTRIM BOW-LANE map ref 96 66

useing all your information i added in one or two items including more detail from the 1901 and 1911 census
William Lynn Graham b~1860-64 Antrim Town Church of Ireland Occupation 1901 Blacksmith unemployed,  1911 Engine Smith at Works m 1884 [ancestryireland. com] Issamenia Quigley b 1864-5 Belfast City Church of Ireland  daughter of Matilda Quigley b ~1826-7  a widow in 1911
Residences census 1901   28 in Nile Street (Dock Ward, Antrim)
Residences census 1911   4 in Maurice Street (Falls, Antrim)
children 5 born  4 living
1.  James Henry Quigley Graham b~1887 m Jul-Sept 1907 Belfast see familysearch.org
2.  John Graham  b 1892-3  England Church of Ireland Engine Fitter at Works
3.  William Graham b~1897-8 14 Male Son Church of Ireland Belfast could be William Samuel b 1899son of WILLIAM but Co Down https://www.ancestryireland.com/
4.  Alexander Lyster Graham b~8 May 1899, d 2000
so unsuccessful so far in tracking what you wanted most
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 February 19 00:37 GMT (UK) »
HI BallyaltikillganG

It seems the hasty reply and thank you that I posted (via my tablet) yesterday before leaving for work did not make it. So thank you now.

In explanation, though I have been researching my Graham family since 1981, I have only now dipped my toes into the DNA paddling pool. Once of my unexplained but closest matches is to someone who has Andrew Lyster Graham and his parents (no dates) as the only names in their tree. I suspect this person is one of many who only have Ancestry membership for 6 months at the time they tested and are no longer reachable through that site. So I was hoping this forum might be another way to make contact.

Yes John Graham of Hungry Hall is the father of William Lynn Graham. Jane Lynn daughter of William Lynn and Jemima Courtney of Kilgreel, was William's mother. John Graham was the son of James Graham and Mary Wiley. I have certificated (obtained in the 1980s) for John Graham's birth and marriage and Jane Lynn's birth, and parents marriage.

John Graham of Hungry Hall and Crosskennon/Crosscannon was a blacksmith as were his sons. Said to be six in total but I have never found any evidence for a son John who is said to have emigrated to the USA. William Lynn Graham's son John did emigrate to the USA.

In 1982 my parents visited Ireland and nearly met Lily Graham (b1915) daughter of youngest son Ezekiel. However My father did start a correspondence with her and another Lily Graham b1908, granddaughter of William Lynn Graham.  One of the Lily's was the source for some of the infromation on William L Graham's family, including the information that William L Graham was buried at Templepatrick while his wife Isammenia and two sons, Lester and William were buried at Glenavey. Another son Thompson is buried in a Belfast City cemetery with his Uncle and Aunt, James Graham and Louisa nee Quigley. I don't think I know where James Henry Quigley Graham is buried.

Since my first post I have discovered that I share a DNA match with Andrew Lyster Grahams descendent and a descendent of John Courtney Lynn, brother of Jane, who emigated to NZ in the goldrush and became a water race proprieter in what is now the Otago Goldfields area.

So I am now sure that Andrew Lyster Graham belongs somewhere in my Graham family. I suspect his parents married after 1922 which is why I cannot find them in Irishgenealogy. I should look again in GRONI but it may be that they did not marry in Ireland.

Cheers

Linda Graham

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 February 19 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Just for  those who want more details:

The baptisms of  children to John and Jane GRAHAM nee Lynn are: .

Born  Templepatrick       Templepatrick Presbyterian Church baptism
1.   William Lynn GRAHAM        baptised 12 APR 1858
Born Hungry Hall   1st Antrim Presbyt Church baptisms
2.   Sarah Jane GRAHAM      b 23 MAR 1860   bapt    1 APR 1860
3.   James    GRAHAM      b 1  JUN 1862      bapt    3 AUG 1862
4.   Mary Mina GRAHAM      b 23 JUN 1864      bapt    2 OCT 1864
5.   Joseph  GRAHAM       b 22 JAN 1867      bapt    28 APR 1867
6.   Hannah   GRAHAM      b  7 OCT 1869      bapt    21 DEC 1869
7.   Jemima   GRAHAM      b  9 MAY 1872      bapt  2 JUL 1872
8.   Henry   GRAHAM      b 22 JAN 1875 
Born Crosscannon
9.   Ezekiel Davis Wylie GRAHAM  b 26 MAY 1877    bapt    28 SEP 1877
10.   Jane Lynn Graham      b 31 Dec 1879      
11.   Maude GRAHAM      b 17 Apr 1882      (registered as Margaret Neill Graham)

School records show John and Jane were living at Crosscannon, Antrim, in 1886 when Henry, Ezekiel and Maud transferred from (to?) Bush School at Hungry Hall: (NB: The occupations shown is for their father)

Henry Graham    t/fer 22/3/1886   11yrs   Pres   Blacksmith
Ezekiel   "          "       9yrs    "      "
James*      "         12/9/1892    5yrs    "      ",  Antrim
Maud      "   t/fer 4/1/1892   8yrs    "   Blacksmith     

*James GRAHAM b c1887 is probably William Lynn Graham's oldest son. James aged 4 was born in Ireland but living with his parents in Barrow in Furness in 1891,  where their next son John was born in Sep-Dec 1891. If so then the family had moved back to Antrim by September 1892.

Cheers

Linda

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 February 19 10:01 GMT (UK) »
I think you will find many weavers who were individuals operating hand looms suffered during the economics of the famine and were being sqeezed  by factories employing a source of energy I think it was steam to operate power driven looms which were so successful that the individual craftsmen and women got swallowed up, or were undercut by the savings in mfr time .  This book might just interest you Picking up the linen threads : life in Ulster's mills by Betty Messenger  Belfast : Blackstaff, 1988, some 300 pages first pub by Austin ; London : University of Texas Press, 1978.

I am personally sad that the response from the Linenhall library yes I knew they could not undertake research BUT I was quoting the manuscript book in their Blackwood collection which I had hurriedly made.  A simple surname  finding list made outside library hours so that the collection could be used by the members and the visiting public.  The librarys great tradition was  at least showing relevant treasures to strangers. it was this that kept the library having an ethos over and above money and kept its reputation as a community treasure  Only in the last year or two have they received Museum status for some of their collections eg The lepper collection which doesn’t contain so much manuscript unique material.   All they had to do was open a volume, check in the relevant 4-6 pages if anything matched your Hogg family in Ireland if yes, quote you photocopiying at XX per page. if no tell you so so.  I have been doing this referral for about 20 years on the net, and know the staff change and reaction varies .Nevertheless I was trained in the library to find and give information from the librarys holdings and then suggest the person might become a member even if they lived overseas  just for the sake of it. many did or tell them donations were always welcomed. and then they didn’t know you were already prepared to offer them a further donation if it had been a connection.Alas Alas perhaps I didn’t make it clear to you to cite the volume numbers. etc 

Some wills at PRONI
Hogg James of The Croft Park Road Belfast master builder died 10 June 1923 at 60 Botanic Avenue Belfast Probate Belfast 22 October to James Clement Hogg builder and contractor and Harper Crawford estate agent. Effects £12470 7s. 2d.
Letters of Administration of the personal estate of James Hogg late of Pilot-street Belfast Publican and Carter deceased who died 21 July 1875 at same place were granted at Belfast to Jane Hogg of 35 Pilot-street Belfast the Widow of said deceased.>£200
The Will of Robert Hogg late of 2 Caledonia-terrace Belfast China Merchant who died 9 August 1889 at same place was proved at Belfast by George Gordon of Market-square Alyth County Perth Scotland Merchant one of the Executors.
keep going you have done so much work and good luck on the DNA project
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Maureen Graham

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 September 20 22:01 BST (UK) »
andrew Lyster Graham was my father, son of William Graham and Lily Graham. Can i be of any help?
Maureen Graham

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 December 20 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maureen

Sorry for the late reply . I have not been on Rootschat for a while so did not see your post until now. Something seems to have happened to the notification system which tells you when there is a response to posts you have an interest in.

Yes I would love to make contact with you but am not sure if I can do it until you have posted again. I will check to see if I can send you a PM with my email address.

I have made contact with another of my unidentified Graham DNA matches who updated his tree during lockdown which allowed me to identify him. His branch is Sarah Graham's family through her daughter Sylvia Fleming. I now also have a DNA match in Ezekiel Graham's family.

Cheers

Linda Graham  :)

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 December 20 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to Maureen's reply I can now place Andrew Lyster Graham as one of the two sons of  William Graham b1896 below.

Family of William Lynn Graham & Issamenia Quigley:
1.   James Henry Quigley Graham   b 30 Apr 1886   Belfast
2.   John            b Jul-Sep 1891   Barrow in Furness
3.   Thompson         b 14 Jan 1894   Belfast      d  5 April 1896
4.   William         b 28 Jul 1896   Belfast
5.   Alexander Lyster Graham   b 8 May 1899   Belfast

My DNA match had put Andrew's father down as another Andrew in her tree which is why I could not be certain  he was in fact William. My father had corresponded with Lillie Graham daughter of James HQ Graham and on scouring those letters I found William b 1896 had two sons, William and Lester (who would be Lillie's cousins). So Andrew Lyster Graham b1928 was the Lester Graham that Lillie had mentioned.

Andrew Lyster Graham (Lester) was 3 years younger than my father and was his 2nd cousin. Which makes Maureen my 3rd cousin. So that mystery is now solved and I am only sorry it took me so long to return to Rootschat and find her reply. (I have been busy exploring our Graham DNA).

Merry Christmas everyone!

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 December 20 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Great result  :) !
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .