Author Topic: Germany location of death registration  (Read 615 times)

Offline Greygirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Germany location of death registration
« on: Saturday 02 February 19 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Request for info/advice, not a request for a search.
In 1904-ish my great grandfather, born in Rotthausen (Gelsenkirchen NRW), living in Dortmund, died while on a trip to "somewhere in the USA". His family were at home in Dortmund at the time. Would his death be registered in Germany, even though he died abroad, and if so would it be in the place where he was born or his last place of residence. The birth and marriage records of some of my relatives have all sorts of useful dates annotated in the margin by the Standesamt eg date and place of death, birth of children etc, but not this one, sadly.
Lloyd (Ystumtuen, Llanfihangel y Creuddyn) Powell (Rhondda, Merthyr Tydfil, Llanspyddid) Yearsley (Monmouth, Ruardean) Faust (Gelsenkirchen, Dortmund & Waltersbrück/Bischhausen) Führen (Eschweiler, Duisburg and Kranenburg/Grafwegen)

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Germany location of death registration
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 February 19 15:00 GMT (UK) »
What is your great grandfathers name?
when was he born?

Side notations on deaths are sometimes found on birth records

Dave

Offline Greygirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Germany location of death registration
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 February 19 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Cunning idea, but I have the records of birth and marriage but there are no helpful annotations I'm afraid
Lloyd (Ystumtuen, Llanfihangel y Creuddyn) Powell (Rhondda, Merthyr Tydfil, Llanspyddid) Yearsley (Monmouth, Ruardean) Faust (Gelsenkirchen, Dortmund & Waltersbrück/Bischhausen) Führen (Eschweiler, Duisburg and Kranenburg/Grafwegen)

Offline Greygirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Germany location of death registration *COMPLETED*
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 March 21 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Found him at last! Eventually resorted to trawling through all the death registrations in Dortmund from 1900 onwards and there he was in December 1907. Not only did he not die in 1904 but he did not die in the USA either so a great deal of time was wasted barking up wrong trees. Perseverance finally paid off. Thanks for help of all those who took an interest.