Author Topic: The army early 1800s - what regiment would Irishmen have joined?  (Read 1655 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The army early 1800s - what regiment would Irishmen have joined?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 February 19 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Records for those far off days are very thin on the ground and ones that have family details even more rare. The name will appear in one of the Muster Books/Pay lists but which regiment and which year(s)?  If he was serving in 1861 then the worldwide index will have his name (there are 4 John Hobans) but these also don't have family names.  The only pension record I find is for a John Hoban born in Mayo who retired in 1844 but no family information.  The regimental registers of pensioners(WO 120/…..) are arranged in regiments but have no identifying details for family/birth place etc.

Frustrating as it is, the army didn't much care about wives and children and they don't figure in a man's record.

You have been looking for a number of years without success which tends to underline the difficulty (impossibility??) of the task.

The birth registers such as josey and hallmark point to are the way to go rather than the purely military side.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 February 19 17:25 GMT (UK) »
There are 4 John Hoban deaths on irishgenalogy.com 1855 - 1866. 1 was a baby, the others [1] 1866 age 70 in Waterford [2] 1864 age 60 Loughrea [3] 1865 age 60 Castlerea. Not transcribed yet. Might be worth a €4 punt each to get 'research copies' of these death certificates to see if any were army pensioners. Of course he may have died before the start of civil registration in Ireland....
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline vmhp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 02 February 19 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. His son William is very well documented having been in the RIC and the Lancs police where he died of his injuries. Thus the birthdate of 1837/8 is definitive.
However this sort of service often runs in the family so it is possible that another Army man was his brother so if I can find any info on him or his daughter it could be very useful - will look. In the family house I found a treasure trove, every receipt since 1890 under the stairs and more than 500 photos. However one young man is in 2 pics - one his wedding - and he looks like a Hoban and referred to William's widow as Aunt. William must have had other family. My only other clue is someone who rented some land off William's son in Achill for a few years - Lawrence Hoban but again I have got nowhere. Many thanks - I have one extra thought so far!
Hoban, McNally, Stevenson, Langrell

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 02 February 19 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 02 February 19 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear!!  His name was John Hoban BUT that is all I know. His son William was born in Castleblakeney, Galway 1837/38 and I have evidence of later family contact in Galway via his Grandson who was born in Lancs 1871 and grew up in Achill - so rather distant for those early years. The info I have is on his son's marriage certificate. I have been through everything in recent years and it looks like his is one of the missing records WO47 (or similar). I even approached a professional but he came up with the same so I did not employ him! I have several family on Gedmatch too with no result in that direction. I believe there are still Hobans in the same area of Galway but no evidence on websites. A friend who is ex Army said some regiments have separate records so thought finding the regiment worth a try Not a brick wall - a solid lump of concrete!
Many thanks and any bright ideas most welcome!

ROYAL IRISH CONSTABULARY & PREDECESSOR FORCE WITH NATIVE COUNTY OF GALWAY 1857

21856    HOBAN, Wm  21     27-May  Galway             C      Labr         Donegal 10/9/57

http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/galway/military/ric-galway-1857.txt
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline vmhp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 02 February 19 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Yes thanks - the William RIC is mine and well known.
I have a tree of the Lawrence Hobans in Kilkenny but I cannot tie them in. He was paying the Moiety on land in 1940s. Off out now - will check up again the morning.
Very many thanks to all of you!
Hoban, McNally, Stevenson, Langrell

Offline Croy Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 04 February 19 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi. My GGGrandfather joined the 60th Rifles in Bandon Co Cork 1802 age 21.It was originally the Kings regiment .Now the Royal Greenjackets.He had a son born Portsmouth 1829 and 2 daughters born Co Clare  1830 and 1833 Ireland when he was stationed there.I found his papers on ancestry.He was signed out at PAISLEY Scotland 1845 with 25 years service and had rheaumatoid Athritis.So maybe you will find something on Ancestry that would help with your search. Marguerite.