Author Topic: Robert Musgrave Blackwell - were there 2 of them??  (Read 378 times)

Offline dhelensmith

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Musgrave Blackwell - were there 2 of them??
« on: Saturday 02 February 19 18:00 GMT (UK) »

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

« on: Today at 17:58 »

Modify
I have been tracing an illegitimate branch of my family - recently discovered - and I have been led to Robert M. He is the son of Robert Blackwell and Harriette Gertrude Bridden and was born in Sale Cheshire in 1884. His father was a physician and of independent means and died young in 1906, his wife and a fellow physician acting as executors. Harriette died in Cheshire in 1940 citing a chartered accountant and a solicitor as her executors, no mention of Robert M.Ancestry has a Robert Musgrave Blackwell of about the correct age being tried for theft in Wellington on 11 November 1908 - a labourer - he was remanded in custody but there are no further details. In 1911 I have found him at 66 Clyde Quay, Wellington. Were this to be he, he is back in UK in 1943 and marrying Edith Marian Dale, born 2 March 1901 in Southampton, in Cornwall. In 1946 they depart from UK shores and travel to Trinidad via USA, occupation planter. A Robert Musgrave Blackwell is buried in Tasmania on 14 April 1964, of the correct age. If any one can help me with more details I would be grateful - are there 2 Robert Musgrave Blackwells or not?

Thanks Helen

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Musgrave Blackwell - were there 2 of them??
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 February 19 18:13 GMT (UK) »

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

« on: Today at 17:58 »

Modify
I have been tracing an illegitimate branch of my family - recently discovered - and I have been led to Robert M. He is the son of Robert Blackwell and Harriette Gertrude Bridden and was born in Sale Cheshire in 1884. His father was a physician and of independent means and died young in 1906, his wife and a fellow physician acting as executors. Harriette died in Cheshire in 1940 citing a chartered accountant and a solicitor as her executors, no mention of Robert M.Ancestry has a Robert Musgrave Blackwell of about the correct age being tried for theft in Wellington on 11 November 1908 - a labourer - he was remanded in custody but there are no further details. In 1911 I have found him at 66 Clyde Quay, Wellington. Were this to be he, he is back in UK in 1943 and marrying Edith Marian Dale, born 2 March 1901 in Southampton, in Cornwall. In 1946 they depart from UK shores and travel to Trinidad via USA, occupation planter. A Robert Musgrave Blackwell is buried in Tasmania on 14 April 1964, of the correct age. If any one can help me with more details I would be grateful - are there 2 Robert Musgrave Blackwells or not?

Thanks Helen

Similar thread on NZ board.

Questions ...

:) do you mean Wellington as in New South Wales ... or as in New Zealand ...  for the 1908 and 1911 sightings you have mentioned ...

:) can you give further info for the Tasmania 1964 sighting ... which cemetery ...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline dhelensmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 February 19 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Sorry - Wellington New Zealand. But Cemetery is Ulverstone, Tasmania Anglican section Ulverstone - Devonport - UL 10/1761 died 14 April 1964.

Offline dhelensmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 February 19 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks - I had posted on the Australian and the New Zealand sites and between them both I can safely say that there was only 1 Robert Musgrave Blackwell; born in Sale, Cheshire in 1884; prosecuted for theft in New Zealand in 1908; married in Victoria Australia in 1926 and divorced in 1935; married in Penzance Cornwall in 1943 and dying in Tasmania in 1964. A very varied life and I hope you can see why I thought that there may be 2 people.
Thank you very much
Helen