Author Topic: Which date of birth is right?  (Read 523 times)

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
Re: Which date of birth is right?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 February 19 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Yet another possibility is that Roman numerals were used at some stage - it was much commoner in the old days - tho it seems unlikely that they would be used for the day, rather than the month.  But if three slashes are written haphazardly they can easily be read as 4, 6 or even 3.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 February 19 01:59 GMT (UK) »
Which date of birth is more likely to be the actual date of birth?

The one on official documents ie birth certificate, 1939 register

or the one on the baptism record?

(Ive only seen the text only for the baptism which shows birth date as 25th Apr 1886 (christening date 23rd May 1886) - others show 5th May 1886

Either or neither is the short answer.
They weren't even the same month. I suspect an attempt to avoid a late registration fine.
Do you have original birth certificate or at least a facsimile of the original from local registration office?
You should look at baptism register. Clergyman may have mixed-up 2 babies baptised on same day.

My Irish grandma has 2 dobs, 5 days apart. I trust dob in baptism register in her case as she was baptised between 5 and 10 days old, depending on which dob was correct, whereas her birth wasn't registered for weeks. One of her sisters wasn't registered at all. 
My mother's dobs differ by a few days. I have seen only a transcript of baptism register. I trust the birth registration in her case. That was the date she celebrated. Her father was more likely to have given the correct information when registering birth of his 1st child than my illiterate GGF when registering his 5th.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 February 19 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all - I suspect I'll never know

At least I know my great grandfather's birth certificate is the one that is wrong (not the case above) as he told me - his mother confessed when he was in his 20s (I assume when he saw his birth certificate and asked why it wasn't on the day he celebrated) - on the plus side I know when someone copied from my tree on ancestry as I have the actual date on there (with an explanation)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 February 19 16:13 GMT (UK) »
I came across one recently where the DOB from the 1939 register (showing as early December) lined up well with the birth registration in the first quarter of the following year.

Unfortunately the baptism took place in mid-November and gave a DOB in October!
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.