Author Topic: Cyril Mansford Corbet, RCAF  (Read 476 times)

Offline daretodiscover

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cyril Mansford Corbet, RCAF
« on: Sunday 03 February 19 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Evening folks,

I am trying to determine the final fate of J86469 Flying Officer Corbet. His aircraft was shot down near Bremen, Germany in August 1944 and he spent the rest of the war in a POW camp.

According to the RCAF casualty lists in various newspapers, Corbet was from Duparquet, Quebec. But the Montreal Gazette shows it was his sister, Mrs George Thompson, who lived there and was his next of kin.

Corbet returned to Canada following liberation. The Montreal Gazette of 18 December 1946 has Corbet, known as "Bus" living in Owen Sound, Ontario and stopping in New York on a boating trip to Florida and the Caribbean with fellow veterans.

In 1953, still in Owen Sound: https://www.genealogy.com/ftm/w/a/i/Robert-Waite-County-Durham/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-1464.html

Despite searching various sites like findagrave I have not been able to come up with his final fate. Indeed, it is possible he may still be with us, albeit 102 years old, in which case I will ask a moderator to delete this post.

Thank you,

DTD

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cyril Mansford Corbet, RCAF
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 February 19 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Someone has submitted this obituary to a public Ancestry tree: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/mediaui-viewer/tree/43442041/person/27576584385/media/5123702d-761c-462c-98d9-ab52376f691f?_phsrc=yGf31885&_phstart=successSource

From the Owen Sound Sun Times of November 19 1971. He had died the previous Wednesday at North York General Hospital.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline daretodiscover

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cyril Mansford Corbet, RCAF
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 February 19 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for this, Shaun. Very much appreciated.

DTD