Author Topic: Matthew Woodall "of Handford"  (Read 3710 times)

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew Woodall "of Handford"
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 February 19 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Your familysearch record is a BT ( Bishop Transcript), the FindMyPast record is likely to be the same.

Suggest you acquire a copy of the original source PR ( Parish Register) ...we all know what transcriptions are like!

Handford???= Handforth

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/CHS/handforth

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 February 19 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Elzabels -- on Find My Past there are both the Bishops Transcripts and the Parish Registers.

Matthew's baptism is not shown on either -- hence, on the face of it, the records for his parish have possibly not been entered for around his approx birth year -- or both sets for those years are missing.

All the Matthew Woodalls (or variants) on the Cheshire baptisms were born in the 1700s. The other alternative is that he wasn't born in the county (but of course was living there by the time he married).

There are other Woodalls born in Cheshire around the right approx time -- but none shown in Wilmslow and no Matthews anywhere.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 February 19 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Elzabels -- on Find My Past there are both the Bishops Transcripts and the Parish Registers.

Matthew's baptism is not shown on either -- hence, on the face of it, the records for his parish have possibly not been entered for around his approx birth year -- or both sets for those years are missing.

All the Matthew Woodalls (or variants) on the Cheshire baptisms were born in the 1700s. The other alternative is that he wasn't born in the county (but of course was living there by the time he married).

There are other Woodalls born in Cheshire around the right approx time -- but none shown in Wilmslow and no Matthews anywhere.

Thank you very much for this information.  :)

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 22 February 19 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I just wondered if you are aware of the Cheshire Parish Register Database?

See cprdb.csc.liv.ac.uk - it gives baptism/marriage/death details for various Cheshire parishes. If you look at Wilmslow (WILM) there are Woodall names for you to check out.

Alan. 

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 22 February 19 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I just wondered if you are aware of the Cheshire Parish Register Database?

See cprdb.csc.liv.ac.uk - it gives baptism/marriage/death details for various Cheshire parishes. If you look at Wilmslow (WILM) there are Woodall names for you to check out.

Alan.

Hello,

Yes, thank you for this.

I was aware of the CPRD.
I have just looked on it again for baptisms of "Woodall" in Wilmslow, and all of the baptisms from 1598-1666 all interestingly had their residences as "Hand". Presumably this is an abbreviation of "Handford". This was the residence put down for Matthew when he married in 1706.
But there is no baptism for Matthew Woodall or variants in that database before 1706 that I can find.
The databse for Woodall baptisms in Wilmslow goes from 1598-1666. Then the next one in the column begins in 1709. I begin to wander if the reason for this gap may be due the condition of the original register. The other reason may be that the family moved during this time:

http://cgi.csc.liv.ac.uk/cgi-bin/cgiwrap?user=cprdb&script=v3.6/ff-pages

Thank you.  :) ;)

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
  • A Cobbold-Nunn wedding?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 09 June 19 01:08 BST (UK) »
Hello RRR,
A belated reply - I've only just now got back in the family history game!
I've had a look for Matthew's baptism but, like you, no joy. Maybe his parents were nonconformist? Moreover, at this time (not long after the disruptions of the Commonwealth) registers were perhaps not as complete as they might otherwise have been - not that that is necessarily saying much.
As for the transcript on FindMyPast recording the marriage as being in Didsbury: FindMyPast is, to my mind, infamous for wrong or incomplete locations being cited in its transcripts, and so I avoid them like the plague. One way of doublechecking is to look at the entry in the original registers (parish or BT), and then navigate to image 1 in that file. There you may well find CRO's data for the source, as in the case of Matthew and Mary's marriage: it's Wilmslow parish. You can do this by looking for the box at the centre bottom which shows you where you are in the run of images, eg 40 of 130. Unfortunately, it doesn't always appear at first, so to get it to pop up you may need to go back/forward one image. Then, when the box appears, replace the LH number (eg 40) with 1, then hit <Go>.
Btw, one minor point, England was still observing the Julian calendar at that time (when the year began/ended usually at some date in March), so the date of Matthew and Mary's marriage should rightly be given as 8 Feb 1706/07. The change to the Gregorian calendar took place in England in 1752. As a result 1751 was shorter by some 11 days, the loss of which provoked riots! Google 'give us our eleven days'...
I hope this helps a little bit.
Birtle

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
  • A Cobbold-Nunn wedding?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 10 June 19 10:45 BST (UK) »
Ah ha! Re the Didsbury marriage transcription, I'd only been looking on FindMyPast. Then a brainwave, I recalled that Didsbury [chapelry] PRs could be in the record set 'Manchester CofE BMBs' on ancestry. They are, and critically with images.
My transcription from those images:-
Matthaw [sic] Woodall of Handfort [sic] and Mary Norbury Deanrow Wilmslow 8 Feb 1706.
The duplication of entries in Didsbury/Wilmslow I guess would be explained by the couple being from different parishes/dioceses.
I can't help, even so, with Matthew's bp.
As for Mary Norbury, I've found the Norbury family to be complicated. Definitely nonconf in certain branches. So far she's not surfaced in my perambulations through Cheshire families, but if I find any clues I'll let you know.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 10 June 19 11:17 BST (UK) »
Ah ha! Re the Didsbury marriage transcription, I'd only been looking on FindMyPast. Then a brainwave, I recalled that Didsbury [chapelry] PRs could be in the record set 'Manchester CofE BMBs' on ancestry. They are, and critically with images.
My transcription from those images:-
Matthaw [sic] Woodall of Handfort [sic] and Mary Norbury Deanrow Wilmslow 8 Feb 1706.
The duplication of entries in Didsbury/Wilmslow I guess would be explained by the couple being from different parishes/dioceses.
I can't help, even so, with Matthew's bp.
As for Mary Norbury, I've found the Norbury family to be complicated. Definitely nonconf in certain branches. So far she's not surfaced in my perambulations through Cheshire families, but if I find any clues I'll let you know.

Thank you very much Birtle. This is much appreciated.

Yes, Matthew's baptism is a complete mystery really.

If I recall rightly, there was a person with the surname of Woodall, I believe who was from the parish of Wilmslow. In a free google book (I forgot where), it stated that he was a drummer in a company during the Civil War.

And yes, regarding Mary Norbury, I have also had no luck at all.

Thank you.  :) ;)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 10 June 19 11:22 BST (UK) »
Mary Norbury's baptism could have been the one found by BumbleB, and 1686 in Macclesfield. My apologies, I only just looked back through the replies on this topic which began a long time ago. And from what I briefly remember, when I looked for baptisms of Mary Norbury around this time in the area, there appeared to be quite a lot. :)