Author Topic: Peter and Cathrine Mcgrigor of Little Dunkeld.  (Read 1357 times)

Offline susanne44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peter and Cathrine Mcgrigor of Little Dunkeld.
« on: Sunday 03 February 19 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Three brothers, Donald (1781- ), John (1784- 1846) and Peter (about 1800- 1886) McGrigor, all settled in Oshawa and East Whitby, Ontario, Canada. John arrived with the military in 42nd Foot Battalion, fought in the war of 1812 and was the first to settle in Oshawa. His register of service says that he was born in Dunkeld and served "for Kinlock". At some point Donald arrived in Oshawa. Peter followed in about 1832. His testimonial is from Moulin Kirk which says that he "resided there since infancy." So, he was born elsewhere. The McGrigors named the roads around their settlement John, McGrigor and Atholl. The latter showing some connection with Blair Atholl. We have a birth record for a Donald in1781 and a John in 1783- our John's gravestone says 1784- children of Peter and Cathrine of Little Dunkeld. We would appreciate any help to confirm these parents or to tell us where to look next. Peter was my great, great grandfather. Thanks, Sue.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Peter and Cathrine Mcgrigor of Little Dunkeld.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 February 19 10:41 GMT (UK) »
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk records, a pay to view site.

Marriage
MCGRIGOR   PETER   CATHRINE MCGLASHAN   21/03/1779   Little Dunkeld

Children of PETER MCGRIGOR/CATHRINE MCGLASHAN on SP

MCGRIGOR   DONALD   03/12/1781 Little Dunkeld

MCGRIGOR   JOHN    00/02/1783   Little Dunkeld

I cannot see a record for Peter junior?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 February 19 10:45 GMT (UK) »
No records at Blair Athol which is about 18 miles North of Little Dunkeld.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 February 19 12:41 GMT (UK) »
The McGrigors named the roads around their settlement John, McGrigor and Atholl. The latter showing some connection with Blair Atholl.
Not necessarily Blair Atholl.

The Duke of Atholl's lands extended far beyond the boundaries of the parish of Blair Atholl, and included large parts of the parishes of Auchtergaven, Caputh, Clunie Dunkeld and Dowally, Kinclaven, Logierait, Little Dunkeld, Moneydie, Moulin, Redgorton plus some property in Blairgowrie, Kirkmichael, Monzie and Perth. And that's only his properties in Perthshire.

The connection is probably that before emigrating they were tenants or occupiers of property belonging to the Duke of Atholl, rather than implying that they ever actually lived in Blair Atholl.

See (or rather listen to) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3OU4Cikwco - in particular 4 minutes and 20 seconds into it.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline susanne44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both very much. I will share this with my fellow researchers both in Canada and the US. It is such a help to have people with local knowledge. The music is much appreciated, especially when stuck inside with 32 cms of snow outside. The Oshawa gravestones have a somewhat unusual way of recording age: John McGrigor died Sept. 17, 1846 aged 62 years, 4 months and 7 days. That makes his birth date on or about 10th May, 1784. There have been mistakes. I've just found a baptism for 29 June, 1784 in Dull. Could Dull be called "Dunkeld Region"? On the map it appears to me to be different. Thanks again, Sue.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 21:46 GMT (UK) »
I've just found a baptism for 29 June, 1784 in Dull. Could Dull be called "Dunkeld Region"? On the map it appears to me to be different.
I'd be surprised. To get from Dunkeld to Dull you go through Aberfeldy which I think is a bigger place than Dunkeld, and I never heard anyone refer to 'Dunkeld Region' when I lived just downriver on Perth. But it is only 21 miles by road between them, so it is conceivable.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 February 19 10:40 GMT (UK) »

Offline susanne44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 February 19 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. What a wonderful piece of local history, which is beautifully written: "the wind in a frolic". Lovely. I can't find my McGrigors in Dull but this social history is my main interest.  The old customs.
The teaching interests me because one of the reasons that the McGrigors/McGregors did so well in Canada was because they could read and write. They took a major part in establishing the township of Oshawa. Best wishes, Sue.