Author Topic: Jane McAdam's marriage to John Kerr and who are her parents.  (Read 8773 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Jane McAdam's marriage to John Kerr and who are her parents.
« Reply #18 on: Monday 04 February 19 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Did either of the two birth certificates say what Jane McAdam's occupation was?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 04 February 19 22:51 GMT (UK) »
I'll throw this into the pot...

What if Jane McAdam wasn't really who she proclaims on Ann's birth?

There's this, the only Douglas in the area in 1861  :-\

DOUGLAS JEAN
887/ 6/ 2 Kirkcolm, Wigtown

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline 2Harriet

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 04 February 19 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Did either of the two birth certificates say what Jane McAdam's occupation was?
Ann b 1859 and Williamina's b1860 births were only 7 months apart. I cant find any ref to Williamina after that either yet.

House maid and Kitchen maid !

Thankyou for bearing with me.
Ayrshire-Meikle, Gordon, Hainey
Wigtownshire-Gordon, Murray,
Dumfriesshire- Beattie, Ireland, Morrison
Kirkcudbright- Heron, Herries, Garmory
Carlisle- Morrison, Johnston, Irving
Ireland- Daly

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 04 February 19 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Now you come to mention it, 7 months doesn't sound long enough - I think there must have been two of them.

I think it would probably be quite difficult to pretend to be someone else in a small rural parish like Kirkcolm, because the chances are that the registrar was also the schoolmaster or session clerk or someone else who would actually know, or know about, just about everyone in the parish.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 04 February 19 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Surely the births were 1 year and seven months apart(22 Feb 1859 and 23 Sept 1860).

A public tree on Ancestry has posted the birth, marriage and death certs. of Ann Douglas McAdam/Kerr. I note that on her death cert. only her mother is named - there is not even a father unknown written.

Re Williamina there is a Williaminie Cavin age 6mo and born Kirkcolm showing in the 1861 census with Thomas McCowan and family in Stranraer - she is showing as Nrs - Ch (as per Freecen) presumably nurse child.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Re Williamina there is a Williaminie Cavin age 6mo and born Kirkcolm showing in the 1861 census with Thomas McCowan and family in Stranraer - she is showing as Nrs - Ch (as per Freecen) presumably nurse child.
So there is - I missed her because I used wil*mina in the search. Should have used wil*min*.

I think the evidence is building that Jean McAdam, who was a servant at Cairnside in 1861, could be the mother.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Just to throw this into the mix:

The 1861 census has this entry in Stranraer

Ann Jane McAdam wid 45 b Ireland seamstress
Elizabeth Murray dau 21 b Ireland servant
Annie Douglas dau 14 b Stranraer

Might this be the Annie D McAdam referred to by Monica and Wendy?

I also note that there is a death in Stranraer for an Ann Jane McAdam in 1861. Her maiden name is showing as Douglas - age given as 46. So likely to be the Ann Jane in the above census.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 13:32 GMT (UK) »
With Annie Douglas McAdam's clearer on details, might be worth also checking the Jane Douglas McAdam (as mother to Annie born 1859) who was mentioned earlier, who showed up and married in Galston Ayrshire at the same time as Annie. Sisters?

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Think I have found Ann Jane McAdam in 1851 living as a lodger in the household of David McKinnon in Little Ireland Stranraer   using the surname Murray with her is Betsy Murray (Elizabeth in 1861) Robert Murray Ann McAdam and Mary McAdam no sign of a Jane though