Author Topic: Jane McAdam's marriage to John Kerr and who are her parents.  (Read 8842 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Jane McAdam's marriage to John Kerr and who are her parents.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 February 19 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Annie Douglas Kerrs’  marriage [ born as Ann Douglas McAdam in 1859 ] refers to her parents as John Kerr, Flesher and Jane Kerr M.S McAdam so I cannot assume her mother and John were married.
It certainly looks as if Annie told the registrar that her parents were married. Thst is, of course, no guarantee that they were married; it wasn't unknown for people to bend the truth a little.

I previously had worked out somehow that at approx. Age 10 Annie is  with her grandparents Hugh Kerr and Ann McCartney in the 1871 census…they have a son John who I thought could be the man she  later claims is her father. In the 1861 census there’s an Annie Kerr wrongly transcribed by Ancestry as daughter of Hugh and Annie and born 1861 but is actually the illegitimate child of their 18yr old daughter Margaret who lives with them also at 61 Main St Kirkcolm.
FreeCEN transcribes this child as granddaughter, aged one month in 1861, which fits with the date of birth if Margaret's child on 20 February 1861.

It's always a good plan to look at the original document on Scotland's People, especially when the transcriptions differ. Usually, if FreeCEN says one thing and Ancestry something different, it's FreeCEN that is correct, but it's not guaranteed.

I am so confused. Clearly this Annie b 1861 is not the one who married my George Meikle
No, I think not.

and Hugh and Ann are not the grandparents of Ann/ Annie D  McAdam or Kerr  b 1859.
It's stil possible that she is a grandchild but if so I'd have expected them to take her to live with them rather than see her boarded elsewhere.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline imchad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 February 19 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi.  Wigtownshire Poors records are held in the National records of Scotland.   Kirkcolm is C04/33/6 I

Offline imchad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 February 19 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, the last post went before I had finished the post. Kirkcolm Register of the poor 1845-1896 is CO4/33/6 But it needs a visit in person to search.
Ian McClumpha

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 February 19 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi not your Annie but have You spotted Annie D McAdam who married a Robert Kerr in 1871 Galstin and died Annie Douglas McAdam in 1877
With the coincidence of names maybe related

That is the one that caught my eye too, Wendy!

Specially because of the other marriage in Galston a few months later:

Hugh Mckail and Jane Douglas Mcadam
29 Nov 1870
Galston, Ayr

Someone has an online tree which I think refers to the same Jane Douglas McAdam going on to marry a George Black, a miner,  in Galston in 1878. Her death is showing as having been on 22 July 1913 in Kilmarnock, Ayrshire.

One census included for her and George Black (1881) where she shows as born in Stranraer c. 1844.

Plenty of details there to try and establish whether there is any connection to your Annie D.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 February 19 21:40 GMT (UK) »
This is Annie after she had just married Robert Kerr in 1871:

Robert Kerr 45 coal miner b. Beith Ayrshire
Annie Kerr 23 b. Shammer (as transcribed), Wigtownshire

Address: Ganch Rows, Galston Ayrshire

This is the closest I can see for Jane Douglas McAdam who married Hugh McKail in 1870. This entry also from 1871:

Thomas Murray 35 banker
Lydia M Murray 37
Jane McKael 25 cook b. Stranraer
Elizabeth Nielson 23

Address: South Main St, Wigtown

Added: there is a death for a 54 yr old Hugh McKail in 1876 in Galston Ayrshire. So, this Jane was certainly free to marry again George Black in 1878 in Galston....if I am guessing correctly!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 2Harriet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 04 February 19 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Ann D McAdam b 22 Feb 1859 at Knocknain was registered and roughly signed by her mother Jane Mc Adam . Interestingly  a child Williamina was born 23 Sept 1860 at Cairnside to a Jane McAdam [as per record on SP] Jane only signed by a X.  What do you think... same mother.? A bit of a coincidence two Jane /Jean Mc Adams so close ??
Ayrshire-Meikle, Gordon, Hainey
Wigtownshire-Gordon, Murray,
Dumfriesshire- Beattie, Ireland, Morrison
Kirkcudbright- Heron, Herries, Garmory
Carlisle- Morrison, Johnston, Irving
Ireland- Daly

Offline 2Harriet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 04 February 19 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sorry I am slow to respond here. I am trudging through SP and downloaded docs to verify each comment I make. The Annie b 1861 was verified on Sp to be Margarets not Hugh and Ann/ Annie s.
Ireland- Daly

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 04 February 19 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Ann D McAdam b 22 Feb 1859 at Knocknain was registered and roughly signed by her mother Jane Mc Adam . Interestingly  a child Williamina was born 23 Sept 1860 at Cairnside to a Jane McAdam [as per record on SP] Jane only signed by a X.  What do you think... same mother.? A bit of a coincidence two Jane /Jean Mc Adams so close ??
Sounds very much as if it's the same person.

Have not found this baby in the 1861 census, however.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline 2Harriet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 04 February 19 22:23 GMT (UK) »

There's a 28-year-old dairymaid named Jean McAdam, born Ireland, at Cairnside, Kirkcolm, in 1861. Could this be Annie's mother Jane McAdam, I wonder?

Knockneen and Cairnside are quite close together - see
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=54.9900&lon=-5.1502&layers=5&b=1

Ann D McAdam b 22 Feb 1859 at Knocknain was registered and roughly signed by her mother Jane Mc Adam. Interestingly  a child Williamina Mc Adam was born 23 Sept 1860 at Cairnside to a Jane McAdam [as per record on SP] Jane only signed by a X.  What do you think... same mother.? A bit of a coincidence two Jane /Jean Mc Adams and births being so close ??

Ireland- Daly