Author Topic: How can i find out if ancestors had a death photo 19th Century?  (Read 921 times)

Offline Paulo Leeds

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How can i find out if ancestors had a death photo 19th Century?
« on: Sunday 03 February 19 22:42 GMT (UK) »
It was 'common' in Victorian Britain, was it only for the super-rich though?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: How can i find out if ancestors had a death photo 19th Century?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 February 19 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Even if a photo was taken,  I wonder if it is actually still available - which family member would have kept the photo album, passed it down through the generations and be willing to share...

Have you researched the Trade directories to see if there were any Photographic Studios in the same district at the time when your ancestor/s died?   

ADD,  if you 'need' any 'image' of your ancestors, have you considered having a professional sketch done based on perhaps a combination of photo of yourself, photo of parent/uncle/aunt or grandparent/great aunt/ great uncle ...     

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 February 19 23:23 GMT (UK) »
No. Not just for the super rich at all. Often the less wealthy had these photos taken as they did not have a photo of the person when they were alive, intimating that they were not wealthy enough to do so.

There is lots of information on the internet, so have a read to make sure you know the time line for the development of photography so you are not looking for a photo of someone who lived before photography was invented or popularised. Lots on the internet about post mortem photography too.

Chances of finding a named post mortem photograph of an ancestor is remote to nil I would say. Best thing would be to contact "cousins" researching the same lines as you are in case they have any images.

Are you looking for anyone in particular?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 February 19 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Oops,  I have added to my post, Ruskie, perhaps at same time as you were posting. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 February 19 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Oops,  I have added to my post, Ruskie, perhaps at same time as you were posting. 

JM

No worries JM. I think we are in agreeance regarding Paulo's chances of success.  :)

Your suggestion is a good one. I think you can get computer programmes these days that do a similar thing (there are probably free ones available) - not sure if morphing software assist?

Offline Paulo Leeds

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 15:53 GMT (UK) »
I don't want an image of how they MAY have looked.

I am only interested in facts.

Thanks for your help guys, I did think the only (extremely slim) chance was a living relative inheriting such photo's from a deceased ancestor and holding onto them down the years.

Is this photography still in operation today? is it even commercially legal?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Phone up some undertakers to ask if they have photographers on their books.

With everyone having cameras at their fingertips these days, there is probably nowhere near the demand there used to be.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 23:10 GMT (UK) »
So it seems that you only want a photo taken after your ancestor has died and before you ancestor has been buried...   

I don't want an image of how they MAY have looked.

I am only interested in facts.

Thanks for your help guys, I did think the only (extremely slim) chance was a living relative inheriting such photo's from a deceased ancestor and holding onto them down the years.

Is this photography still in operation today? is it even commercially legal?

Yes,  I agree with Ruskie's suggestion.

JM

Offline Andy_T

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 February 19 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Paulo Leeds asked:
" Is this photography still in operation today? is it even commercially legal? "

I never heard of this in the UK But when I lived in Thailand and I was there for 10 years, it's normal.

At Buddhist funerals which last a week (that's just the first round), the coffin lid is left off so mourners can have a good look and many people take snapshots of the deceased just same we as do at weddings.

Andy_T
Thurman, Coleman, Beck, Shaw