Author Topic: Creating a website  (Read 334 times)

Offline georgeb1971

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Creating a website
« on: Monday 04 February 19 12:36 GMT (UK) »
I think I've researched my family as much as possible at the moment but I want to some how preserve that research so that my kids etc can see it in years to come.  I'm thinking about creating a website where I can show the family tree and then add more details and documents for each person.  I am computer literate but have never done any web design before.  Does anyone have any suggestions or example of what they've created please.  I've been directed to some free website creating sites such as ALTER VISTA but I'm not sure if that's the vest route or perhaps there's a PC software that might be better for a beginner.
Many thanks in advance.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Creating a website
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 February 19 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat - I'm sure you will get loads of suggestions in response to your query.

There are several different ways to go about this.  Family Search, for example, will allow you to create a tree on their site for free, but there might be some strings attached.  https://www.familysearch.org/

I also know that some people who contribute to Rootschat have their trees on the TribalPages site:  https://www.tribalpages.com/

I have my family tree on Ancestry and also in Family Tree Maker which is on my laptop so should be accessible to my family after I've gone (as long as I remember to tell them the password to my laptop, of course  ;D),

Regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 February 19 13:54 GMT (UK) »
I have created a website for all sorts of stuff including family history using the free Wix.com - they provide the templates.

However, having seen a few people on here talking about Zoompast, I have joined - it's free- and I am very impressed.  I am creating a "Master tree" just for me, but I am also creating 4 individual trees which I can then share with the cousins on that particular line.  I can add them as being allowed to view the tree, or edit it with their own information.

At present, two cousins - more distant that first cousins - are adding their information to my tree.  Then anyone from the family can look if I invite them.  You can add photos and as much info as you like...census, baptism, etc.  So far I am impressed - and it's all free! 

You can also import a Gedcom.
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 February 19 13:56 GMT (UK) »
I think I've researched my family as much as possible at the moment but I want to some how preserve that research so that my kids etc can see it in years to come.  I'm thinking about creating a website where I can show the family tree and then add more details and documents for each person.

Nice idea, but don't forget the example of (I think it was a school) who put together a millennium project which they recorded on some system which is already obsolete and can't easily be recovered ...  ::)
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young