Author Topic: Transportation Petition - Thomas Beesley 1833  (Read 205 times)

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Transportation Petition - Thomas Beesley 1833
« on: Monday 04 February 19 12:52 GMT (UK) »
I am investigating Thomas Beesley, who was transported to Bermuda after being found guilty of manslaughter and sentenced to 14 years transportation in 1830.  I believe he is an ancestor, although there are certain questions I have about that.

I have found the petition for clemency, from his father Samuel, dated Dec 1833 but there are some words I am struggling with.  I attach the relevant paras and would be grateful if anyone can fill in the gaps for me.  This letter was addressed to the local MP. 

Sadly the petition failed, but Thomas served 7 years before being pardoned and returned to England in 1838/9.

So far I have -

...a investigation of sentence granted as the circumstance for which he was transported was an affray with a party of young fellows one of the party died in consequence of a blow  although the other party gave the finish by _______________ bludgeon But as I have the _______________ by me which I will forward to you if you think proper and the petition  I can get signed by a great number of most respectable characters  If you think there is an chance for him  You will see by the friend of yours who has signed this letter to you  That he has He was well respected. I have nothing more to add but shall trust to your humanity and goodness of and remain for the _________ due respect your very humble and most obedient Servant Samuel Beesley High Bridge Oxford

I have already got considerable other information about this gentleman, the case against him, his time in the hulks etc which covers the period 1830-1839.

Thanks for any help on these tricky words.

Pam

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Transportation Petition - Thomas Beesley 1833
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 February 19 14:16 GMT (UK) »
...the other Party Gave the first

by useing bludgeons...

See the t on great further down.

Also he writes froward, although no doubt he means forward.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 February 19 14:23 GMT (UK) »
...Humanity & Goodness & Remain with all due

Respect...

ADDED:

I think he is:  ...your very humble & most Obed Tent

Presumably he means:  Obedient Tenant

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 February 19 14:38 GMT (UK) »
It is:

...a Mitigation

of Sentence...

ADDED:

The remaining word has defeated me.  I thought it was possibly an eccentric spelling of trial, but none of the ts or Ts match.

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 February 19 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help, it was a tricky one.  Pam

Online CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 13:16 GMT (UK) »
I think he is:  ...your very humble & most Obed Tent

Presumably he means:  Obedient Tenant

I see it as 'Servt' (Servant).

Pam (cordley), I'm Oxonian and the Beesley name with all its variants is very well known in the area.  I suspect that the address High Bridge Street is better known as Hythe Bridge Street.  That part of Oxford was knee-deep in Beesleys, as I'm sure you know!  What is your connection to this particular family?

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 14:35 GMT (UK) »
I am more than knee-deep in Beesleys (and variants) at the moment!! 

Interestingly back in the 1840's I suspect that Hythe Bridge often got written as High Bridge - certainly on g-grandmother's birth certificate the address is given as "near High Bridge", but I know from other research and my visits that it is actually Hythe Bridge.  Spelling is always a challenge!

My husband is descended from one of them who may or may not be the Thomas Beesley convicted for manslaughter in 1830. 

Can you PM me if you have any more knowledge on this - it is all a bit complex!!!!

Pam

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the help in deciphering this document.  I have now posted to the Oxfordshire Forum for further help on this convict - see

Thomas Beesley b 1801 - manslaughter at Wolvercot 1828

for more help in identifying him.

Pam