Author Topic: Help to date and identify two family portraits  (Read 3138 times)

Offline lewlew1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help to date and identify two family portraits
« on: Monday 04 February 19 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am working on a family tree project for my Grandfather. He has many old photos, and has been able to identify most people.

We have a pile of unknown people. These two photos I believe may be my Grandfathers Great Grandparents from his mother (both he never met as they died before he was born)

So I have a few questions,

1) Can anybody give me any information from these photos. Such as date taken or give an idea of their ages when taken?

2) Could they be a married couple, is it normal to have separate portraits for a married couple? As they are both taken in what looks to be the same studio with the same chair. Could they be meant to be displayed next to each other or at opposite ends of a fireplace for eg.

3) Could they be siblings, or just random friends or relatives? They do have some resemblance to my Grandfathers grandparents.

My Grandfathers aunt thought the woman was his great Aunt, but from my research she did not marry and the woman pictured is wearing a ring.

I hope someone is able to help,

Thank you!

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help to date and identify two family portraits
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 February 19 18:16 GMT (UK) »
I would guess at early 1900-1920.  I think the lady may be in her middle 40's the gentleman perhaps 5 or so years older.  They could well be related, the eyes have a similarity.

The gentleman maybe is not that comfortable in a suite and has struggled to fasten a decent knot in his tie. 

I am sure there will be many more suggestions from members.
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline russell12

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 February 19 19:43 GMT (UK) »
The gentleman maybe is not that comfortable in a suite and has struggled to fasten a decent knot in his tie. 

You can actually see what seems to be a bandage/plaster wrapped around his middle finger (and I think on the ring finger aswell) ??? Maybe that explains the poor tie?

^ Not relevant at all to OP's questions, but I'm a stickler for details  :P Perhaps it could give us a clue to his profession? (I'm really reaching here though)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 February 19 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat lewlew, and great photos!

I will put my oar in and say that I think they are a married couple and indeed the photos could have been displayed together as they are posed opposite to each other.

You may get some more precise dating from their dress, and I would say that both could be in their late 40's or 50's.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 February 19 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Well spotted russell.  The chairs are the same so yes IgorStrav, either taken together as a couple or separately.
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 February 19 20:35 GMT (UK) »
I am going to guess early 1908-15 with that rounded collar on the man -  and the three piece matching suit.  Could be wrong.  ;)

Beautiful photos.

Wiggy  :)
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 February 19 22:56 GMT (UK) »
I am going to guess early 1908-15 with that rounded collar on the man -  and the three piece matching suit.  Could be wrong.  ;)

Beautiful photos.

Wiggy  :)

Hi Lewlew and welcome to RootsChat. I don't think Wiggy is far out with her dates. I think they are Husband and Wife in their late 40s early 50s.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 February 19 23:09 GMT (UK) »
I too think it's a married couple.  I also think the folded paper the man is holding is a clue to his occupation and maybe the bandage on his finger isn't a bandage but a rubber thimble worn by office staff who have to shuffle papers quickly.

Does the family know of any occupations ancestors held?  Perhaps in shipping, railways, insurance, etc.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 02:00 GMT (UK) »
I think they're about 55 and 50, so a couple born in the 1850s. The papers look like a map; did anyone go on a big trip in the 1900s? Are there any details on the photo card (front or back) giving clues as to where it was taken? (Even the design of the card, the shape of the stamp box and so on can provide clues.)
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.